Chocolate Ganache As A Cupcake Frosting????

Baking By hurlygrli07 Updated 2 Jul 2011 , 5:15am by scp1127

hurlygrli07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hurlygrli07 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 11

hello all, i have started to get very interested with chocolate ganache after reading a whole lot about how amazing it is icon_lol.gif so last night i got curious and made a small batch of chocolate ganache and white chocolate ganache, after letting it sit all night i checked it this morning and i must say im loving the consistincy thumbs_up.gif and im sure that its going to spread beautifuly on a cake, but i am curious about other things i can do with the ganache, for instance, i am making a cupcake tower for a bridal shower and she just wants chocolate and vinalla and if i want to get creative with it i am more than welcome to, so i was wondering if there is any way to stiffen the ganache so that it will make a stable frosting to pipe on to a cupcake??? any thoughts or ideas, ive read a little about whipped ganache, will putting in in my kitchen aide witht the wisk help stiffen it up?

anywho, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

10 replies
CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 11

with ganache, you can warm it up to a point where it spreads like peanut butter... if you can ice a cake with it, you can ice a cupcake with it!

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 11

my favorite chocolate ganache is great on a spoon... forget the cake!(lol)
my recipie for ganache from jaque penn (sp?) on food network will get super thick almost too thick if put in fridge then thin out if you warm it.
If you like it super thick you can whip it with the mixer and then it turns into a great chocolate frosting without the gloss..of the warm pour on ganache.

I just keep an eye on it until it is the thickness for what I am doing.

Has anyone tried the coolwhip quick cheaper ganache? It is very good for cupcakes.. I made some last week for a shower because I was in a time crunch and I have gotten 3 orders from that shower for cupakes with that frosting and 2 cakes.
I haven't tried it with white chocolate but I am sure that it will work the same. But all my orders are for the chocolate. its just great in a pinch when I don't have any heavy cream on hand..

but to answer your question you can frost anything with ganache.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 11

Labmom -what is the coolwhip quick cheaper ganache?!? Thanks!
Theresa

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:54am
post #5 of 11

I warm my ganache just enough to be able to dip the cc and swirl it. Since I started this, everyone likes it better than filling. I swirl my buttercream as usual, letting the ganache show on the edges.

sweet_tooth_0710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_tooth_0710 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 11

Will piped ganache stand up in heat?

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 11

What ratio are you using to make the Ganache?? I used 2:1 (dark chocolate) & it was so firm I had to microwave it constantly throughout icing my CCs.... But I loved how they turned out though....

http://cupcations.blogspot.com/2011/04/red-brown-gold.html

I'm not a Ganache pro but I'm guessing if your using 1:1 I don't think it will hold on a CC.. Correct me if im wrong...

scp1127 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 11

Cupcations, I make mine up as I go, but I do write down my changes. My recipes start to look like a lab experiment. I hate chocolate and my ganache is really good, even to me. I'm just reading my emails... busy now, but sometime tonight, I'll post my recipe.

By the way, still enjoying your site.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Cupcations, I make mine up as I go, but I do write down my changes. My recipes start to look like a lab experiment. I hate chocolate and my ganache is really good, even to me. I'm just reading my emails... busy now, but sometime tonight, I'll post my recipe.

By the way, still enjoying your site.

Thanks S
I would LOVE to try out your recipe I love trying new things... haha plus I love chocolate icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 11:48pm
post #10 of 11

I have whipped ganache after it cools, and spread like buttercream and piped with 1M for cupcakes. Holds beautifully.

scp1127 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 5:15am
post #11 of 11

Ganache for Cupcakes

3/4 c heavy cream
3 tbsp light corn syrup
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate
1 tsp vanilla bean paste

In a saucepan, heat cream and corn syrup to a simmer. Pour over chopped chocolate. Let melt and stir slowly, making no bubbles. Add vanilla bean paste.

Here are my changes to change consistency, sweetness, and flavor:

You can change the chocolate to a higher %.

After it melts, you can add a little more corn syrup to change consistency and sweetness.

I add much more vanilla bean paste.

You can add spirits and liqueur, stirring slowly, after it cools a little.

Homemade vanilla extract is good too.

When it is almost room temp, but warm enough to still swirl, I put it in a deep bowl, wide enough to get the cupcake inside. I slant the cupcake slightly so that I can see that I get the edges evenly. As I pick up, I swirl the top.

I pipe the frosting just inside the edge so that the ganache shows.

This method, with ganache in every bite vs. filled, has been 100% preferred by testers. The ganache is firm enough to hold everything together and soft enough to have great mouth feel.

This recipe started with Bobby Flay's Throwdown-winning Boston Cream Pie Ganache.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%