Help!! How Much Do I Charge?

Decorating By melly7 Updated 30 Mar 2012 , 4:18pm by Kel28

melly7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melly7 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 13

A customer sent me this picture of a Mac cake and I dont know what to charge! Ive never made one before. They want it exactly like this, and want a quote to serve 25 people and a quote to serve 50 people

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4138/4783421009_97f643e9b0.jpg

12 replies
Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 13

I don't think there should be a big diference between the 25 or 50 servings its still the same amount of work. Price would depend on where you live! I would personally charge about 150 for that and i charge very low icon_sad.gif Just my advise don't go too much lower on the 25 servings because you will still work the same.

ljchevygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljchevygirl Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 13

There is ALOT of details in this cake and I don't think I would charge less than $55 for it for 25 people. More for 50 of course. I am not a "professional" but I make cakes for family and friends and honestly $55 is probably to cheap. Hope this helps. Your time is worth alot.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 13

Over looking the copyright issues...

An 8in square cake would serve 32 and an 10in square cake would serve 50. So I would price it based off of those two sizes, not just 25 and 50.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Your base cake price should be off how many it serves, not how many they want it to serve.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973-pricing.html

I'm not a big up-charge for a design person, but there are times when it is warranted. This would be one of those times. I would do a basic fondant cake price (use the link above to get those numbers) and then I would tack on time and supplies for all the extras.

No one can really tell you how much to charge. You have to make sure it covers YOUR costs, time, not to mention profit. There are a lot of things that fact in to costs. It may cost one person $30 to make a cake and cost the next person $50.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 13

With all those accessories? Seriously, $55? Will you come work for me? The base cake for 50 would be $200 without delivery and before a single accessory got put on it. I'd be looking at $350 with delivery.

And you do have a copyright issue.

Heck I just sold an 8" round with bc icing roses and a message on it for $75. Customer was very happy.

ljchevygirl Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 13

[quote="leah_s"]With all those accessories? Seriously, $55? Will you come work for me?

Leah, I would charge my family $55 for this because I would like the practice. Like I had said, I am not a professional. I only do cakes for family and friends at the moment. I charged my friends $65 for the two tier cake in my pictures. What would you have charged for that one, if you don't mind me asking? It was not perfect by no means but issues with my mothers health made me not do the best I could do and my friends understood and loved it anyway.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 10:25pm
post #7 of 13

ljchevygirl, check out the second link in my post. It gives you an idea of how to figure prices and what to consider.

I'm not sure $55 would even pay for the cost of supplies in the above make up bag and accessories picture.

charliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliecakes Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 13

Yes. I agree with leah and Texas sugar. MOlding those accessories will take some time. Some people charge for those accessories like they charge for flowers and that is to say per/each. And it always seems that those flowers and little accessories are such a small amount until you start planning and realize how many you have to make and how long it took you to do it. Just plan and charge accordingly but definitely start with a base cake charge and go from there.

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 13

I'm with the majority! ALOT of details on that cake increase the price. I wouldn't quote that cake for less then 250.00. Again as mentioned there is the issue of copy rights. GL icon_smile.gif

teresamariegross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teresamariegross Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 13

I would charge 100 to 125.00 but i live in Podunk Greenville Ohio

ljchevygirl Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 2:32am
post #11 of 13

I knew that I was off on the pricing, but like I said I would do that for my family just to have the experience. Luckily there is only one niece that is into all the girly girl stuff and I don't have to make anymore cakes for her. But at least I know what to charge from now on if I ever have a request like this one.

Kel28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kel28 Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 4:14pm
post #12 of 13

I was asked to make a cake like this also but my question is how do you get the Mac cover to stay up on the pallet? As far as charging, I am also on the same boat as you are. I am new to cake decorating and do it for family and friends just to get more practice. Right now, I am doing it in place of a gift and it also allows me to practice on my skills and get my name out there. Once I am comfortable enough, I will start charging.

Kel28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kel28 Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 4:18pm
post #13 of 13

I was asked to make a cake like this also but my question is how do you get the Mac cover to stay up on the pallet? As far as charging, I am also on the same boat as you are. I am new to cake decorating and do it for family and friends just to get more practice. Right now, I am doing it in place of a gift and it also allows me to practice on my skills and get my name out there. Once I am comfortable enough, I will start charging.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%