Rkt Head For 3D Cakes????

Decorating By Jody130 Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 8:22pm by Jody130

Jody130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jody130 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 3

Was wondering about how to get the RKT head to stay inplace on a cake, for instance if you were making a 3D dog, horse, etc. how do I get the head to stay on the cake?? I've tried before and I doweled it , but within hours the snout fell off, and the head started tilting.

2 replies
Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 3

Hey there,

This depends on a variety of factors. First I let the rkt head harden a bit before I down it to the cake. i coat the dowel with melted chocolate to help adhere the rkt. It also depends on (say a head for a dog, how big the snout is). If it is large, it may need a vertical support(i.e. a pvc shaped like an L instead of just a dowel. Gravity will when out without the correct supports. I also make my RKT with less butter than the recipe says so they are harder. I also find that smashing the rice krispees down makes a firmer more supportive structure. You can also coat the entire RKT head in melted chocolate to make it stronger.

I use RKT alot and it will work- my Walle cake, jack Russell Terrier Littlest Pet Shop Cake, my New My Little Pony Cake. all used RKT for head and misc. parts.

Good luck, feel free to pm me with more specific questions.

Jody130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jody130 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much for your response, I'm looking to make a dog, Scooby Doo to be exact for my granddaughters birthday this weekend, It will be sitting down with back legs on each side, and front legs out front, i thought about small sheet cakes for the body and carving it to size, then using the RKT for the legs and head, my concern was just making sure the head was secure, so I could probably do the RKT with the melted chocolate over it, let harden, then cover in fondant. No really a huge cake, just using 9x13 size pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%