Need Help With Covering A Cake With Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By sugarxosugar143 Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 5:36pm by sugarxosugar143

sugarxosugar143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarxosugar143 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 12

Most of my family and friends dont really like fondant but i love the clean and smooth look it has on a cake so i wanted to test out a few alternatives. I just made my first batch of rolled buttercream and i am going to test it out today. But the next thing i wanted to try is covering a cake in modeling chocolate. I was just wondering if anyone knew about how much chocolate melts and corn syrup i would need to cover an 8" round about 2-3" high cake. Any tips would also be helpful! thanks!! icon_smile.gif

11 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 12

What is it about the fondant that your family doesn't like? Is it the texture or the taste? If it is the taste there are many different recipes out there that you can try, and you can play with the flavors on. If it is the texture, then I'm nut sure modeling chocolate is really the complete answer either. Because it will have a thicker texture than regular icing would.

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 12

I agree with TexasSugar... modeling chocolate may not be a good alternative, how about chocolate ganache! Applied in layers and let set and it makes a beautiful crisp covericon_smile.gif

sugarxosugar143 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

What is it about the fondant that your family doesn't like? Is it the texture or the taste? If it is the taste there are many different recipes out there that you can try, and you can play with the flavors on. If it is the texture, then I'm nut sure modeling chocolate is really the complete answer either. Because it will have a thicker texture than regular icing would.

they dont like the really chewy texture. i know modeling chocolate has that same sort of texture but its not as chewy. my family and friends have eaten modeling chocolate toppers off of my cupcakes and loved it which is why i figured i would try it as a cover

sugarxosugar143 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moovaughan

I agree with TexasSugar... modeling chocolate may not be a good alternative, how about chocolate ganache! Applied in layers and let set and it makes a beautiful crisp covericon_smile.gif

i love chocolate ganache but it hates me! hahaha! i always hot or miss with that recipe!!!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 12

People do it successfully. But I've read that it can be hard, and expensive.

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 12

use a 50-50 fondant and Modeling chocolate works GREAT!! tastes even better! knead them separately than once they are soft put them together. Modeling chocolate can be colored with any color you use for fondant as long as you add it after its made (as you are kneading it) I use both and never really eat it but one day i thougth i would taste it and WOW since then i mix all mine. Great for making flowers too you can roll out sooo thin! Good Luck!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 12

I have 2 british books that show covering wedding cake in modeling chocolate and a single layer cake covered in modeling chocolate. tutorial on both. so, yes, you can do it. I saved a cake from 2 c/cers that cover their cakes in modeling chocolate. ONe is a beautiful wedding cake.

sugarxosugar143 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyna

use a 50-50 fondant and Modeling chocolate works GREAT!! tastes even better! knead them separately than once they are soft put them together. Modeling chocolate can be colored with any color you use for fondant as long as you add it after its made (as you are kneading it) I use both and never really eat it but one day i thougth i would taste it and WOW since then i mix all mine. Great for making flowers too you can roll out sooo thin! Good Luck!

thanks!!! ill def try that!!!! any suggestions on what fondant to use?

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 5:02pm
post #10 of 12

You can use any fondant really. Some people prefer Pettinice and some others Satin Ice.

Just don't use Wilton!

I bought all the brands of fondant to do a test. I liked Pettinice. Satin Ice is easy to roll. And once you add modeling chocolate to fondant, it might taste like Choco-Pan (I also got a little tub of this, it tastes like white chocolate).

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_IN0500-BWT

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 12

I make my own. 16oz of marshmallows 2tb water 2tsp of flavor and 8 cups of sugar. i don't use a mixer i grease the table put my 8 cups of sugar and make a hole in the center and pour my melted marshmallows and just fold and fold until all incorporated.

sugarxosugar143 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 5:36pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyna

I make my own. 16oz of marshmallows 2tb water 2tsp of flavor and 8 cups of sugar. i don't use a mixer i grease the table put my 8 cups of sugar and make a hole in the center and pour my melted marshmallows and just fold and fold until all incorporated.

thanks so much! ill let u know how it turns out! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%