Calling All Aussie Cake Decorators... Advice Please :)

Decorating By cutiepiecupcake Updated 26 Jun 2011 , 9:32am by Bluehue

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 7:55am
post #1 of 4

I have a quote for gumpaste roses and I'm wondering what the current market rate for hand made roses are at the moment? I've tried to google and search the market that way.. but I can only find the manufactured mass production mini posies. I don't wish to send fake quote requests to surrounding businesses as I find that unethical.
Also, Madhatter/topsy turvy cakes... average market rate? I have a quote to feed 100-120 dessert size and was thinking about $7 per slice due to time and design factors. I use mudcake, ganache and hm fondant.
Too expensive? Any thoughts would be appreciated icon_smile.gif
Thank you!

3 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 8:44am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepiecupcake

I have a quote for gumpaste roses and I'm wondering what the current market rate for hand made roses are at the moment? I've tried to google and search the market that way.. but I can only find the manufactured mass production mini posies. I don't wish to send fake quote requests to surrounding businesses as I find that unethical.

Factor in the costs of your ingrediants - and set yourself an hourly rate of how long it takes you to make them.
I am thinking they are roughly the size of a medium size vegemite lid - icon_smile.gif
Don't sell yourself short in asking for a descent price - because individual hand made ones are worth more than the factory produced ones. (ones made using moulds)

Also, Madhatter/topsy turvy cakes... average market rate? I have a quote to feed 100-120 dessert size and was thinking about $7 per slice due to time and design factors. I use mudcake, ganache and hm fondant.
Too expensive?
No - not at all - anywhere from $9 to $13 for a dessert portion is totally acceptable.
Show me a restaurant that dishes up a dessert under $7.00....
except for Maccas............ icon_wink.gif
You are on track with your pricing.... it doesn't differ that greatly from State to State in this Country petal.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Any thoughts would be appreciated icon_smile.gif
Thank you!

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 9:21am
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much for your advice Bluehue icon_wink.gif
I charge $12 per large oriental lilie.. so I was thinking about $10 per rose as they don't require stamens or detailed art... the bride has requested ivory only. If she is not happy with the quote I had originally offered to source fresh flowers at cost for her so at least she knows the alternative.
Thank you again!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 9:32am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepiecupcake

Thank you so much for your advice Bluehue icon_wink.gif
I charge $12 per large oriental lilie..
Perfect - so I was thinking about $10 per rose as they don't require stamens or detailed art...Yes, thats a very suitable an acceptable price - your on track thumbs_up.gif the bride has requested ivory only. If she is not happy with the quote I had originally offered to source fresh flowers at cost for her so at least she knows the alternative.
Thank you again!
Your most welcome - any time petal.

Blue icon_smile.gif

ps - love the "land down under" signiture line you have -
How very true - we come from the land of plenty

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%