Plain Cake Icer Tip?

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 26 Jun 2011 , 5:51pm by Marianna46

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 3:52am
post #1 of 5

I do not like the regular cake icer tips because I feel the serrated edge encourages air pockets beneath the icing. Does anyone make a regular non-serrated cake icer tip?

I usually just try to use the cake boards to make sure I ice my sides evenly, but I'm getting into some odd sized pans to give myself better serving number flexibility, so I can't always rely on a perfectly cut cake circle so I should find a way to apply the icing more evenly, I think.....

???

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 4:04am
post #2 of 5

I don't know about the tip, although you bring up a good point about the serrated side. What I'm looking for is a tool that will allow me to cut cake circles down to size easily and quickly, so that I can use them to guide my buttercream (I can hardly ever find the right size here, and the deges are scalloped, as well, which doesn't help). I'm bound and determined to become a good "buttercreamer", so anything anybody can come up with will be of interest to me, too.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 5:11am
post #3 of 5

I use mine all the time and never have a problem. I make sure the tip is laying flat against the cake as I spin the turntable to cover.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 6:41am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

I don't know about the tip, although you bring up a good point about the serrated side. What I'm looking for is a tool that will allow me to cut cake circles down to size easily and quickly, so that I can use them to guide my buttercream (I can hardly ever find the right size here, and the deges are scalloped, as well, which doesn't help). I'm bound and determined to become a good "buttercreamer", so anything anybody can come up with will be of interest to me, too.

To make custom size circles I use a circle mat cutter. It does make an edge with a 45 degree angle, but I can get the exact size I want. It only takes a minute to set the size and cut the cardboard.

It's expensive, but with the Michael's coupon it's more reasonable and pays for itself fairly quickly.

HTH

Michele

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the tip, Michele. On my next jaunt to Texas, I'll try to pick one up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%