How Do I Make These Purses?!

Decorating By KJF1985 Updated 26 Jun 2011 , 1:24am by Yeni131

KJF1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJF1985 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 12:27am
post #1 of 2

Ok, slightly freaking out here. I said I'd do mini replicas of a couple purses to use as cake toppers for a retirement cake i'm doing. I have to take the cake in to work Thursday and just attempted to do one of the purses. It turned out awful and now i'm freaking out that I won't be able to get them "right" by then. Maybe it was my RKT carving job or the fondant isn't thick enough, not sure. I thought this would be easy enough, here's the purse I attempted....

I haven't even started all the detail pieces because I didn't know exactly what size they'd turn out to be! I thought I could just carve the shape and fold up some fondant around it. Instead it looks like a lumpy block!! How do you get it to look "soft" like a purse does?? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

1 reply
Yeni131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yeni131 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 1:24am
post #2 of 2

I am really a newbie but my thoughts are, try to make a paper pattern so that you know the size of the purse you are going to cut and try to use a thicker fondant, like the purple ring probably. Do the details of the purse while still flat then just let it sit a bit then shape it while it is still soft but not too soft. Then add the handle once the purse part is dry. Let me know how it turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%