Coating Cake Balls Help Please

Sugar Work By Johnnie53 Updated 26 Jun 2011 , 3:57am by Dells

Johnnie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Johnnie53 Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 1:14am
post #1 of 12

How can I make the icing on the cake balls smooth and professional looking. I have made them melting the chocolate but it seems to be to thick. There were bride and groom cake pops in the gallery I would like to know how to make the suit for the goom. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

11 replies
lorenaortegarox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorenaortegarox Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 1:16am
post #2 of 12

that happened to me too the first time, I just added shortening to my candy melts to make it thinner so i could get a smoother cake pop!

Johnnie53 Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 1:25am
post #3 of 12

thanks. I am going to try that

sparkle25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkle25 Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 1:32am
post #4 of 12

Add shortening to thin it and also make sure that your chocolate is warm enough. Keeping the chocolate warm is key.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:21am
post #5 of 12

do you add shortening (like Crisco) while heating the chocolate or stir it in after it's melted???

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:24am
post #6 of 12

Paramount crystals are even better than shortening.

sparkle25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkle25 Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:24am
post #7 of 12

I melt it with the chocolate. If I need to add more after I melted the chocolate, I just melt the shortening in the microwave and stir it into the chocolate that way.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:30am
post #8 of 12

I add crisco as well, I've heard about the paramount crystals but have no idea where to get them. One thing that seems strange to me....when I use RED candy melts, they always come out smooth and perfect without adding anything! Just the red...something about them...strange!

Cakes-and-bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes-and-bakes Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 8:01am
post #9 of 12

For the groom, dip the entire cake ball in white chocolate and let it dry.
melt your dark chocolate, but dip your groom at an angle. Angle to the right, then angle to the left. Dont dip him the same way you normally dip a cake ball but covering the whole thing with chocolate. ya know? It'll take a couple of practice tries but then youll get it.
after its dried, I use a tootpicj to draw on the bottons and bow tie.

Johnnie53 Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 9:34pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks for the help. Again

KarinsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarinsCakes Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 1:34am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle25

I melt it with the chocolate. If I need to add more after I melted the chocolate, I just melt the shortening in the microwave and stir it into the chocolate that way.

Can you tell me how much crisco to melts you use?? Thanks!

Dells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dells Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 3:57am
post #12 of 12

I had the same problem with melting chocolate - it would always come out too thick and clumpy when I wanted to either coat cakepops or when using chocolate molds...Paramount Crystals are AWESOME!! I heard that Crisco alters the flavor of the chocolate, but PCs do not. You can purchase it at any cake/chocolate supply store or online at Amazon. Add more or less to get the desired consistency while melting. I tried it for the first time tonight and I put my spoon in the choc after it was melted and when I pulled my spoon out, the chocolate ran off like water. I was so super excited!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%