Storing Buttercream Cake

Decorating By debbs0723 Updated 24 Jun 2011 , 9:43pm by nonilm

debbs0723 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbs0723 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all, I hope you can answer my question somewhat fast since it is time sensitive. I've been doing cakes for awhile but mostly fondant cakes. I just madea 3 tier buttercream cake and I'm a little worried about transport. I was planning on refrigerating it before transport just to get the frosting hard and more stable. My buttercream is made with heavy cream and it is a little thinner than usual because I was hoping it would taste better this way. Now I'm worried about it. so I'm refrigerating it, transporting it tonight and my friend has an extra fridge also so she wants to store it in her fridge for fear her dog might get to it overnight. I don't have a box or anything to store it in. Will it be okay stored without any cover?

Thanks,
Debbie
[email protected]

5 replies
Neen22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neen22 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 6

It depends on how far you have to transport it. I live out in the middle of no where and most of my cakes have a 40 mile trip to where they are being delivered...... I would say the easiest way is to find just a basic box that it will fit into and set it down into the box..... If you cannot find a box i have had this problem as well and i have used diggerent items to level out my passenger seat in my car and cranked up the AC and made my delivery this does require very careful turning and no hard braking lol it is tricky but it can be done

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 6

I never transport a tiered buttercream cake that is already stacked. I transport the three tiers individually and stack when I get there. Much safer, I think.

Have your friend remove a shelf or two from her extra fridge and stack it when you get there.

debbs0723 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbs0723 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you both. I actually transport 3 tiered cakes all the time on wrapped wooden boards without boxes. My question was more about the storing of the cake in the refrigerator without wrapping it.

Neen22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neen22 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 6

as far as i know it should be fine I usually store mine that way because i can never find boxes to fit them. I just make sure i only have them in there for about 24 hours to make sure my frosting stays fresh

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 6

I store almost all my buttercream cakes overnight in the fridge and do not cover them. I just make sure there are no strong odor foods in there. No problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%