Trying To Hire People Is Making Me Nuts.

Business By mombabytiger Updated 24 Jun 2011 , 3:41am by JadedJenn

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 9

So -- I'm opening a bakery in a couple of months and have started to advertise for staff. I need several cake designers. I placed an ad and gave a complete, detailed list of qualifications required.

I swear, I've gotten 20 e-mails from people who have "always wanted to learn how to do cake decorating". Or pictures that would seriously qualify for Cake Wrecks. (What IS a "B'Day" anyhow?)

I feel like I have to respond to all applicants, but I'm running out of ways to say, "Are you NUTS?"

BTW, I'm not trying to be arrogant here. I'm hardly Colette Peters, but that's why I want to hire really good people.

8 replies
CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 9

First off, only respond to those who you want to interview. Saves a lot of headaches (you can put something like 'only those with specific qualifications will be contacted'). Second, I wish someone near me would open doors! Very few spots because of the area! Good luck, hope you find some great people!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 9

Are there any culinary schools or colleges with culinary/baking programs near you? If so you may want to reach out to them to find pools of qualified candidates.

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 9

I feel for you. If trying to hire them is making you nuts, wait until the ones you do hire actually start icon_rolleyes.gif

My humble opinion learned from 3 years of owning a shop: You will be hard pressed to pull good people away from an established thriving business to come to an unknown startup unless you offer a significant increase in pay. Get open, establish your rules, policies and procedures for your business. Then hire people who you can train to uphold them.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 9

I agree that in the interest of time and sanity you should only respond to those that you are truly interested in.

If you feel you must respond then a simple: "Thank you for your inquiry. Since you do not meet our qualifications we will not be contacting you for an interview."

Cut and paste so you don't have to keep typing it.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 9

People are desperate for jobs in this economy....you are lucky you've only received 20, not 200!!! Congratulations on your new Bakery!!! Best of luck to you! icon_smile.gif

ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:11am
post #7 of 9

Where in VA are you?? I don't know if the decorator I'm thinking of would be what you're looking for or close enough to commute, but the decorator at the bakery I'm working at is looking for a new job.

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:48am
post #8 of 9

I agree with Jason about checking culinary schools. I work for a huge bakery here around Christmas every year and they usually have 2 or 3 interns from the culinary school working too. The ones that work out and make it through the big Christmas push usually get offered full time work after the season.

JadedJenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JadedJenn Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 3:41am
post #9 of 9

You could make up a form letter to send to people. Something like "Thanks for your interest. Unfortunately you do not meet our requirements."

Or you don't have to write back at all.

For the people who say "I've always wanted to learn cake decorating!" I'd be tempted to send them a link to Wilton. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%