Am I Getting Myself Into A Mess?

Decorating By countrycaker Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 8:17pm by leah_s

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 12

I have a wedding cake covered in fondant in my freezer that I need to pull out and add some decorations to. Will the decorations stick to a frozen cake? I'm worried about letting it thaw out and then refreezing it so I want to add them while the cake is still frozen if it's possible. This is the first time I've frozen a cake so I'm already paranoid about that, but I had no other alternatives with this one. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

11 replies
countrycaker Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 12

Maybe nobody's around right now that can help me with this. I guess I just might have to go for it since I'm on a tight schedule. Cross your fingers for me! icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 12

Wish I could help but I have no idea. Hopefully someone will answer you with some help.

countrycaker Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 12

Ai-ai-ai.....now I'm nervous. Thanks for the help though. Sounds like I better get this puppy moved into the fridge for a few hours before I do anything else. I appreciate you posting those links for me!

countrycaker Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 12

Oh, also - I'm still wondering about sticking fondant decorations onto a frozen cake. Does anyone know if they'll stick?

imagenthatnj Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 12

I hope someone answers. I think the title of your post "Am I getting myself into a mess?" is not very descriptive, so not too many people will want to even click. Maybe try to change the title? I think you have about 24 hours to be able to change that title. Say something descriptive like: "Help, please. Freezing fondant decorated cake?"

Also, from the other links, pursuing_perfection seems to have done it before. Maybe you can PM her. Sometimes people are not online when you need them, but she might be checking her emails.

Hope everything goes well. I wish I could help more.

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 12

In theory, the cake will immediately begin to form a sticky sheen on it's surface once it hits the air. So decorations should with no additional help from water or gumglue, stick right to it. I mean, if they are flat simple cut out shapes, they're going to stick right on it from the condensation of the cake. But I don't know what you're planning on putting on it.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 12

I"ve never froze a fondant cake and wouldn't recommend it..but I would think the decorations would stick from condensation..best of luck

ame120103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ame120103 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 7:53pm
post #10 of 12

They should stick since it will get tacky and sticky while coming to room temperture then should stay in place when you refreeze but hopefully when it comes to thawing out again they will stay put depends on how quickly you let it heat back up I guess. I have never tried it just read alot of posts on here. You should probably thaw it in the fridge for a day before you need it maybe that will help.

imagenthatnj Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:00pm
post #11 of 12

countrycaker, do you need to refreeze it after you thaw it and you put the decorations on? Why?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:17pm
post #12 of 12

why do you have to put in in the freezer a second time?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%