Help Save Colored Fondant

Decorating By Ballymena Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 7:34am by Ballymena

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 6

Help! I have made a dark blue MMF and am finding the consistency is off. It is freshly made so still has to sit overnight. It has lost elasticity which I am not surprised at but I had no choice in coloring it. I am on an island with only Wilton colors available. If it is still the same tomorrow does anyone think I could knead some glucose, corn syrup or glycerin into it and that may correct it?

5 replies
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:09am
post #2 of 6

I haven't used MMF too much but I know that with regular fondant you can knead in shortening until it's as flexible as you need it. The fondant recipe that I make seems too sticky when you make it, and then a little too stiff after it's sat a day, I just knead it with some shortening and it's just right. Hope that helps! Good luck!

sparkle25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkle25 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:17am
post #3 of 6

Maybe let it sit overnight and see how it is in the morning. With MMF it's always important to let it sit so the marshmallows have time to cool. It is always a bit harder once it's cooled. I agree with the above statement that shortening is the best thing to add to it to soften it up and remove any cracks.

sacakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sacakesandbakes Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:25am
post #4 of 6

That tends to happen when too much color is added. You can try to let it sit over night and knead in some fresh fondant in the morning. Hope it works out for you. It will be hard to cover a cake with it but should work well enough for decorations.

EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:32am
post #5 of 6

I almost always only use MMF and this happens to me sometimes and I just break off the MMF in smaller chunks and knead in some shortening and then recombine the smaller, flexible chunks back together if I'm covering a cake. If I'm just doing decos I will just break off chunks as I need them and knead in shortening until it's easier to work with.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 7:34am
post #6 of 6

Thanks, I will try that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%