Help - Refrigerated My Gumpaste!

Decorating By Babycakes820 Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 6:00am by gidgetdoescakes

Babycakes820 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babycakes820 Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 2:32am
post #1 of 16

I am using gumpaste for the first time, so please forgive this newbie question...

I mixed up some gumpaste yesterday and knew it needed to rest for 24 hours before use. I put it in the fridge without thinking, but now I'm nervous about using it. Will it still harden the way I want it to when rolling the decorations? (I'm making veined leaves.) Or should I pitch the refrigerated stuff and start all over again?

Thanks so much for the help!

15 replies
rosey422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosey422 Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 2:45am
post #2 of 16

I know the one wilton has says you have to refrigerate after opening..

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 2:48am
post #3 of 16

i allow my gumpaste to rest overnight in the refrigerator everytime i make it- actually, i store it there! i use nicholas lodge's recipe, i'm not sure what you use. it should be fine, just warm it up in your hands by playing with it

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 2:58am
post #4 of 16

It'll be fine as long as it was well wrapped before being put in the fridge.

Let it come to room temp and you should be able to knead it & go.

Rae

Babycakes820 Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 3:17am
post #5 of 16

Oh, OK... I just used the CK gumpaste mix. I've read that you weren't supposed to refrigerate the gumpaste, or the mixture may never harden. I'm glad to be wrong about that!!!

I just didn't want to take the time to make like 100 leaves and find out they won't harden. They have to travel, so I want them to be just right.

Thanks!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 3:35am
post #6 of 16

If you want to be sure, roll out a thin piece tonight and let it set overnight to see if it hardens.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 3:36am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babycakes820

Oh, OK... I just used the CK gumpaste mix. I've read that you weren't supposed to refrigerate the gumpaste, or the mixture may never harden.

Well, I'm not familiar with that recommendation, at least not for bulk gum paste that's been covered in plastic wrap............now if you put gum paste leaves in the fridge & they get condensation on them, they'll soften and not harden up again, for sure.

I do see on the CK site that it says not to freeze. Don't know why, as I've frozen made up gum paste mixture (not CK, though) and had it work just fine.

Rae

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 3:47am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosey422

WHA?!?!? It does?? I have NEVER fridged mine! Oh no! I never saw that on there! I assumed as long as it was well wrapped and stored it could last for months!?!? It never smelled, but I know thats not a sure sign its not bad icon_redface.gif

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 3:56am
post #9 of 16

Yeah, the Wilton one is fine out of the fridge for some time, but like twice the amount of time if stored in the fridge or freezer. (can't check the canister right now for exact amount of time due to being in a hotel. sorry.)

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosey422

WHA?!?!? It does?? I have NEVER fridged mine! Oh no! I never saw that on there! I assumed as long as it was well wrapped and stored it could last for months!?!? It never smelled, but I know thats not a sure sign its not bad icon_redface.gif

I never knew this either. My stuff usually hardens before I can use the rest of it, no matter how tight and how much air I get out of it. I'll have to go put it in the fridge now.

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 12:58am
post #11 of 16

I always store my gumpaste in the refrigerator with no problems

Lili5768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lili5768 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 8:59pm
post #12 of 16

I also let it rest in the fridge for 24 hours after I make it, and store it in the fridge until I'm ready to make flowers or whatever. As a matter of fact I was making some practice flowers last night and I left it in out. Although it was wrapped in plastic in a sealed plastic container. Also I've read that the Tylose glue should also be refrigerated, I left that out too!!! icon_redface.gif

I've left it out before but never for more than a day.

Babycakes820 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 10:30pm
post #13 of 16

Phew! What a relief! I was afraid I'd ruined it... And it turns out it's been in the fridge for days now, because my young children and mother-in-law have been demanding my attention the last few days and I haven't gotten to making my leaves yet. thumbsdown.gif

Anyway, thank you all so much for the reassurance! I'll just leave the finished product unrefrigerated. icon_smile.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 5:39am
post #14 of 16

The Nicolas Lodge recipe says to store in the refrigerator when you are not using. I have never had any problems with it not drying.

Lili5768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lili5768 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 5:52am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babycakes820

I'll just leave the finished product unrefrigerated. icon_smile.gif

Oh definitely! The finished product, cannot be refrigerated or it will turn to mush icon_smile.gif I just leave all my leaves and flowers out to dry at room temp and then I store them in plastic bins with one of those little desiccant packs.

I have yet to get the cel forms for drying the flowers so I improvised by using those grey cartons that the fast food drinks come in, the ones with four indentations and one in the middle. I cradle the big flowers in them. But it's been veeery rainy here so the carton absorbed the humidity and the flowers started to get soggy and melt! I was able to rescue them by putting them in the oven with just the light on! icon_smile.gif So now I put the drink holder in a plastic bag and sort of seal it, and voila! But I can't wait to get the professional formers. crafty aint I? icon_lol.gif

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 6:00am
post #16 of 16

I have never stored gumpaste in the frigdge, I just wrap it and put in plastic bag and then a cannister.......also when I finish a cake I sometimes store in fridge over night, never saw anything wrong

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%