Need Some Help Asap! Kinda Stressing!=/

Baking By myheartsdesire Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 2:02am by myheartsdesire

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 9

I'm working on a cake but I have never eaten this flavor of cake, and definately have never made it. I didn't want to take the time to do any testing. But now I'm doubting. What makes an Italian Cream what it is? The client asked to leave out the nuts in case of allergies. Not a problem but is it still gonna taste right??

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 12:26am
post #2 of 9

Italian cream cake without the nuts is basically a coconut cake.

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 12:59am
post #3 of 9

I hope your cake turns out well. My advice to all bakers is to try out all new recipes on family and friends first. I would make sure all new recipes are at least triple tested before offering them to a client. Even recipes with glowing reviews sometimes need tweaking of ingredients, oven temp., and baking times to suit your needs. While it may result in losing a sale to not be able to offer something to a client you may avoid an unnecessary cake disaster. The loss of your time and money spent on ingredients should the cake not turn out right and having an unhappy customer is not worth taking the risk.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 2:03am
post #4 of 9

Myheartdesire, I got an order a few months ago for an Italian Wedding Cake flavored cake. I think this might be the same flavor you are talking about, just a different name here in this area. Anyway, since I had not made one and really had no idea what was in it, I googled it and after some research, ended up making the recipe that Sandra Lee has on FoodNetwork.com. It starts with a white cake mix and has pineapple and coconut and pecans in it. I got so many great reviews from so many people that I went on to make a number of Mother's day cakes, cake balls, and cupcakes from the same recipe. People cannot get enough of this cake, and personally, I agree. It is, hands down, one of the MOST delicious cakes I have ever had. You might take a look at that recipe to see if it's what you need.

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 2:24am
post #5 of 9

Take about a tablespoon of your batter & fry it up like a pancake. That should give you enough to taste it anyway...

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 2:33am
post #6 of 9

I've never heard of pineapple in an Italian Cream cake. Mine is just a sponge white cake with coconut and pecans. I agree - it would just be a yummy coconut cake without the nuts.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 9

Hmmm. . .apparently Italian Cream Cake and Italian Wedding Cake are NOT the same thing! Oooops! Oh well, If you ever need a recipe for Italian WEDDING Cake, that's the BEST cake I have ever had. Hands down, from anywhere.

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 12:14am
post #8 of 9

Dani1081 - I'm not knocking pineapple. Pineapple and coconut are a classic pair, I've just not had it before. I may have to try that sometime. icon_smile.gif

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:02am
post #9 of 9

It turned out well! The cake tasted great, I just didn't know how much like italian cream it was. It was a great coconut cake though.icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%