How To Price Several Small Wedding Cakes

Decorating By crushed Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 9:59pm by sccandwbfan

crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 14

I have a consultation tomorrow with a bride who would like individual cakes for each table plus a cutting cake for the head table. I know you generally price per serving for wedding cake but wouldn't you charge more for several individual cakes versus one larger cake? I'm kind of cringing already at filling and icing 17 small cakes for one day.

13 replies
sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 14

I feel your pain. I am doing 22 single layer 8" cakes for July and I keep thinking to myself, wow, how long is it going to take to ice and bake those. Thankfully, she doesn't want elaborate decorations, just the new last name initial. Good luck!!

crushed Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 14

Did you price it differently than you would've for one large cake?

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 14

Really depends on how big the cakes are, how many, and how they're decorated.

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 14

I've never had to deal with this before, but it makes sense to me to charge your normal price, but add extra for the additional boards and any other supplies you will need. Also, if you're not crazy about doing it, you could add an additional PITA surecharge - that't totally up to you. icon_wink.gif

Karen

crushed Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 14

AnotherCaker - She's looking at 17-18 cakes to feed 8 people at each table so a 6-inch cake. She hasn't told me what she's thinking about decoration on each cake but has said she would like them all the same.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 14

I did 10 little 2 tiered (6" & 4") wedding cakes one time and it took me longer than if I had just done one big one, so you have to factor the added time in too, along with the extra cake boards and so on that kearniesue already mentioned.

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:46pm
post #8 of 14

I've been doing a lot of these this year- I like the simplicity of it- not hvibg to stack, etc, and sweat it out during delivery. That being said, after a 38 cake order, I realized that I needed some sort of a fee for supplies (38 cake boxes, boards, etc! Vs. One or two.). Also, you will spend a lot more time loading up all those little cakes for delivery (thirty-eight trips!) and then setting them up at the venue (38 More Trips!). If you handle it correctly, it can be a much bigger sale for you, though, as they will inevitably round up their numbers (I.e. Buying a 6" cake with twelve servings for only 8 people at a table.)- which significantly increases the sale (but you can remind them how much they are saving not having to buy centerpieces!) I just finished a sixteen cake order, and it is boring and repetitive, I feel ya, but it's easy, and profitable icon_smile.gif

AnotherCaker Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:51pm
post #9 of 14

Yeah, and I refuse to work on anything boring and repetitive anymore, so those cakes would have to be interesting, every one of them! I'm not sure what I would do in that situation. Probably talk them into a big lavish cake. But that's me. Good luck!

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:52pm
post #10 of 14

And to answer the question- I don't alter my prices, I think that would just irritate people, they would probably view it as unfair (more money for the same thing). The supplies charge I would implement after six cakes or so, and I just plan on charging my actual costs and explaining it to the customer upfront as part of the 'cake centerpieces can save you a lot of money' speech.

AnotherCaker Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:55pm
post #11 of 14

Yeah, I don't think I wouldn't dicount at all. Full price just like if 18 people wanted one 6" cake themselves. So much work, so much room needed....ack.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 10:00pm
post #12 of 14

I do price my celebration cakes less then my tiered cakes, but upcharge for decoration. I just took an order for 6 x6" cakes for a wedding, but she wants very minimal decoration and no fondant. I think it's fair because I don't get nearly as anal retentive making a single cake as I would a tiered cake so that goes much faster, also I don't know how much you pay for a cake drum/board, but it's much cheaper then SPS (especially with shipping). It's all about organizing and setting up your assembly-line. Of course, I'd never take an order of 32 (32!) cakes because I am only one person and would have no place to store that many cakes in process!

Jen

crushed Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 10:10pm
post #13 of 14

Yeah, part of why I'm cringing is I'll have to figure out where to put the 17 cakes as I work on them and store them all boxed in a temperature controlled environment. We'll see how tomorrow goes. Maybe she'll change her mind... icon_wink.gif

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 9:59pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crushed

Did you price it differently than you would've for one large cake?

Well, she's a friend of mine so she's getting a really big discount. I'm going to be charging her for all costs, i.e., ingredients, boxes, boards, paper, and then adding $75 to it for me. Not much but like I said she's a friend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%