Cake Business In Virginia

Business By amaburns Updated 10 Jul 2011 , 5:30pm by JessHelper

amaburns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaburns Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 6

Hey y'all! I'm new here & I have a few questions. My mother & I are looking to start a baking business in Virginia but have no idea where to start as far as licensing and such. We aren't even sure what the state requirements are. We will be doing this out of her house. Any suggestions & experience would be very helpful! Thanks in advance!

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 12:33am
post #2 of 6

Call the Department of Agriculture, they're the ones who do the inspections in Virginia. Where are you located in Virginia? There are some cities that apparently don't allow home-based baking at all even though it's legal in the state.

amaburns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaburns Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 12:37am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Call the Department of Agriculture, they're the ones who do the inspections in Virginia. Where are you located in Virginia? There are some cities that apparently don't allow home-based baking at all even though it's legal in the state.

I'll give them a call in the am. Thats interesting though. We're in Yorktown.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 12:46am
post #4 of 6

Yorktown is okay, I think that it's in the Hampton Roads area where one place says you can't do it.

If they tell you you can't run a baking business from home in VA let us know. Do a search on here for Virginia home-based business and a lot of threads will come up. It's legal, but depending on who answers the phone they might tell you otherwise.

KellyJo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyJo3 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 1:31am
post #5 of 6

You can bake from your home in Yorktown. Call your local health department and the Dept. of Agr. and they'll set you up with everything you need to know. I'm in Hampton, Va and we're not allowed so I actually rent a kitchen in Yorktown. HTH

JessHelper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessHelper Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 6

First thing is to check with your locality to see if they allow a home business.Contact the zoning division.Have to decide if you are going to be a sole proprietorship,LLC, SCorp, etc.Get a Federal Tax ID.Call the Dept of Ag to set up an inspection.Get a business license.Register with the VA dept of taxation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%