Ultra Fine Sugar

Baking By Cohaja12 Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 11:47pm by imagenthatnj

Cohaja12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cohaja12 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 6

I'm planning on using a recipe for a pound cake (ladyfingers) that calls for ultra fine sugar. Would it be safe to use regular granulated sugar. I understand the purpose for UFS is because it dissolves quickly and is good to use for beverages etc for this purpose

Just thought I'd see what you all thought before I bought some. I don't have a grinder/food processer or I would just make my own.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

5 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 6

I once went to the supermarket and bought ultra-fine sugar and regular sugar and took a spoonful of each and ran it through my fingers. Different brands. The one labeled regular sugar was finer! So I never worried about this again.

Are you making a pound cake or are you making ladyfingers? I make the ladyfingers from Baking with Julia (Child) and it doesn't require any special sugar, just regular.

Cohaja12 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 6

The cookbook I was looking thru had 2 different pound cakes recipes. One, they said, was suitable for ladyfingers. (I'm craving tiramisu something terrible!)

I'm at work (SHH!!) so I don't have the book on me. Think I'll look up the Baking with Julia recipe tho!

imagenthatnj Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 6

The Baking with Julia book has Flo Baker's recipe for génoise that yes, can be used for a cake or for ladyfingers. But I think she had more flour added to the recipe to make it suitable for ladyfingers (so that they don't fall apart). I've made them, it works.

Anyway, there's this video where you can see Flo and Julia baking the sponge cake and also about halfway they do the ladyfingers.

http://video.pbs.org/video/1174158883/

Cohaja12 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 6

Yes!! Genoese!!!! That was it! The other was Victoria.

On my way home, I broke down and purchased premade ladyfingers. I needed Kahlua. Maybe next time I'll make them from scratch.

Thanks for your help. Its very much appreciated. I could look anywhere on the net for my answer, but I trust you all more! icon_biggrin.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 6

You're welcome! Good luck with the tiramisu.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%