Please Help, Too Many To Choose From!!

Decorating By evbunt Updated 19 Jun 2011 , 9:03pm by evbunt

evbunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evbunt Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:00am
post #1 of 4

I am doing my brothers wedding cake (this weekend) as a gift, and it is my first wedding cake (tend to prefer kids cakes, as they are less particular), this is just a fun thing I have done in the past couple of years for friends and family so I'm quite nervous. The bride went bonkers looking at pictures and has requested a combination of styles but gave me the freedom to coordinate them...and I just don't have the eye for it.
The centerpieces are submerged flowers in tall round vases, so she found a picture with a vase coming out of a cake, so that is our first design element. She then saw the satallite cakes on TV, and that is her 2nd element...so there will be a 16" and 12" round with a hole cut out and a tall (sturdy) cylinder vase with submerged flowers in it coming out. Then, a 9" round and a 6" dummy round on top of the vase. She wants a bow on top. Also, there will be 2 more vases off to the sides with 10" rounds. Also, she really likes white on white.
That's all that is set...she LOVES cornelli lace and the sugar crystal look, she wants a monogram on one of the layers (I was thinking the 9") and she also likes some of the fondant draping but doesn't want the cakes covered in fondant but said I can use it on a layer or 2. So, how do I mix all of these styles? I am worried about the space between the 2nd and 3rd tiers and then the 2 background cakes...I don't want them all to be totally uniform, but they need to look coordinated. Her colors are various shades ofpurple, but she doesn't really want purple on the cake, she said I can accent with it, but not go crazy. Now, since it is a "gift" I can really do what I want, but I can't decide on the techniques for anything and I"ve looked at hundreds of pictures. I am not sure how each technique would or could be most highlighted next to the other...hopefully that makes sense. I welcome ANY and ALL suggestions!!! THANK YOU!!

3 replies
evbunt Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:07am
post #2 of 4

I should add that the reason I am just now trying to figure this out is that my brother had picked a cake design that was...very untraditional...and I was willing to do it and then she convinced him this morning to do a "pretty cake" and he called and asked me to give her what she wanted...I'm a procrastinator, but not THAT bad!!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:41am
post #3 of 4

Sounds more straightforward than you think. A sketch would really help you on this one.

As I see it, you have a four tier cake in the center with a satellite cake on either side.

Keep it all white on white except for small details - ie dragees in purple in the middle of a quilted section or as small cut out flower centers.

Lose the fondant except for accents. Also, maybe to drape off of the 9 inch tier that sits on the vase. That could hide a multitude of sins and save some sanity.

Sugar crystals? Gems or sugar? The larger grains of sugar that Wilton sells looks very pretty especially in a white on white. It looks simple but not cheap.

Overall design:
Bottom - cornelli lace

Second tier - quilt pattern on sides with white or purple dragees, sugar on top. Satellites match this tier.

Third tier - swiss dots in either purple or white - swags of fondant hang below tier - initial on plaque - plaque could have purple border

Fourth tier - Cornelli lace - white on white - bow on top.

Satellites - match second tier.

Or something like that.

evbunt Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for your advice!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%