Still Haven't Figured This Out

Decorating By bbsmom Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 12:14pm by dguerrant

bbsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbsmom Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 10

icon_redface.gif I've read lots but...I have two "how do I's", if someone can guide me! I'm trying to make "flat" firetrucks to place on sides of cake and have made them out of fondant-but I have never been able to get that nice shiny look-how is that done? I used a red colored fondant but as its drying, it's getting dull. Also, I was trying to paint the bumpers in silver luster dust (again trying for shiny) but it barely shows. Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong?

9 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 10

Painting silver with luster dust has a lot to do with the quality of the dust. The first time I tried I tried the Wilton's and got little if any effect. Then I bought some silver luster dust from Global Sugar Art and it worked just fine. Just mix with a little vodka and paint it on.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 10

To get a shiny (not dull) look on the red portions, spray lightly with cooking spray ans brush with a soft food safe brush, or dip the soft brush into a little oil and brush on. Be careful to not touch anything that has been painted with food coloring, it will smear it. As far as the silver luster dust, add more dust to the pga/vodka/clear almond flavoring. I test mine on the back of my hand, the more you add, the more opaque it will be. Hope this helps youicon_smile.gif

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 10

Wilton anything when it comes to color is blah.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 10

you'll get lots of tips on how to get your fondant shiny. One that I will share is using clear piping gel.

As far as your luster dust is concerned. I've found that if you are going for a silver shine, make your fondant a light gray and then use lemon extract and the silver lustre dust. I did that for a topper on an anniversary cake and it came out a pretty silver. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1885204

I've got to say I much prefer the lemon extract over vodka...it dries so much faster IMO.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 10

I was amazed how much luster dust I had to add to my very small amount of vodka/lemon extract the first few times I used it. I got that same transparent look until I added more dust. It's going to look a little thick before it's the silver you probably want for your bumpers. Hope they come out well, they sound cute!

bbsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbsmom Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 10

I learn something every time I come here! Added more silver dust (I've been ordering everything from GSA) & viola-that definately helped. Carmijok your cake is beautiful. In "painting" the truck-do I let the fondant dry completely then coat with the oil or piping gel & let dry more? I thank you all for "teaching" me!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 10

Are you thinking of how Buddy Valastro gets his fondant shiny? He uses a steamer to get the fondant shiny. But I don't know what that will do to the painting.

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 10:42pm
post #9 of 10

I bought some edible silver glaze or lacquer ( I forget what it is called and I am too lazy to get up and look at it) from Global Sugar Art. It is already in liquid form. It isn't good for large areas because it too looks a bit transparent but for small things it is great.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:14pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Are you thinking of how Buddy Valastro gets his fondant shiny? He uses a steamer to get the fondant shiny. But I don't know what that will do to the painting.

by steaming, it will make it look glossy for a while, but will eventually dry back dull or at least that is what happens when it sweats sitting on the counter. also, i would be afraid of the steam making detailed painting bleed or run if you aren't careful.

as far a to when i spray oil on mine, I do it whenever the piece is finished and even after it hardens it really doesn't matter, just be careful around painted areas.

i have lots of different size brushes to cover every thing i need, but the best ones are ones with soft springgy bristles (most are white or yellow, i believe they are called 'talkon' and are synthetic so you can clean them properly) that snap back into place after the brushstroke. you shouldn't have to reshape your brush every brushstroke.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%