Has Anyone Used The Fat Daddio Cake Leveler???

Decorating By Yane Updated 6 Aug 2011 , 4:25pm by paula0712

Yane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yane Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone,

I need to buy a cake leveler since I had many isues with the Wilton one. It's horrible!!! I know the Agbay is supposed to be the best but I really don't want to spend that much.
I would like to know if anyone has used the fat daddio's one.
Thanks in advance!

4 replies
ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 5

It's better than the Wilton one but not nearly as good as an Agbay.

KodiSnip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KodiSnip Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 5

I don't like the Fat Daddio's leveler. Bought one and the bottom wire came off. Returned it and received another. Wire also snapped while levelling. Not happy with this product at all.

My cakes were freshly baked and don't know why the wires snapped each time. Very frustrating to me, IT'S CAKE!!! The wires shouldnt break

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 5

I don't think you'll find a happy medium before you get to an agbay.

I don't have an agbay, I don't want one since I hardly make cakes and the Wilton big leveler (not the one that folds) has been great till now.

I have heard that people have replaced the blade on the Wilton one with a serrated blade bought at the hardware store.

I've also heard that someone took her very long serrated knife and put earth magnets on each side (as many as she needed for how high she wanted to cut the layers). She said she was at the cake store where this lady showed her how to use her agbay, and then told her that before the agbay, she used the magnets. I think the magnets were like these.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb.....ts&x=0&y=0

She put a picture once of how this looked, but CC was fast to take it off because it was not a photo of a cake.

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 5

I used the Wilton leveler for years and NEVER once had a completely level cake the first go... I ended up hacking my cakes with it so I caved in and bought the Fat Daddio's as I am leary of spending the money on the abgay. Let me tell you - a huge difference! I know that people complain that it bows etc, but if I tighten the blades I get a perfectly even cut every time. Coming from the cheap Wilton one where the blade is too loose to the Fat Daddio's one I love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%