Small Owl -What To Use?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 14 Jun 2011 , 10:30pm by seedrv

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 4:10am
post #1 of 5

I need to make a small burrowing owl for a cake. It will maybe be 4-5 inches tall and a 2-3 inches across. I was thinking of using fondant/tylose or RKT.
Any disadvantages to using fondant/tylose for something that big? I have made smaller figurines and liked that I can get a lot of detail and it won't dry out while I'm working with it.

I haven't used RKT much, but haven't had a great deal of success when I did. I don't think modelling choc will give me the detail I need?

Any other ideas/thoughts?
Thanks!

4 replies
Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 5

I don't think I'd use RKT for something that small. I think I'd still stick with fondant/tylose. It's what you're used to. I've heard modeling chocolate is supposed to be able to help with detail...I haven't tried it yet, it's on my to do list.

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 5

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2040530

I made this one out of cake. It's a Wilton 3 inch sphere on a small dress wonder mold. It's sitting on a 5 inch square. I don't know if it's bigger than what you're looking for. I had these pans on hand though. If you wanted to go the cake route, maybe you know someone who could lend you the pans.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedrv

I made this one out of cake. It's a Wilton 3 inch sphere on a small dress wonder mold. It's sitting on a 5 inch square. I don't know if it's bigger than what you're looking for. I had these pans on hand though. If you wanted to go the cake route, maybe you know someone who could lend you the pans.

Is that a mini wonder mold (that comes with 4 molds)? If so, I just bought that one for another project. You owl is awesome!

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedrv

Is that a mini wonder mold (that comes with 4 molds)? If so, I just bought that one for another project. You owl is awesome!

Yes! That's the one. I cut a little off so it would not fall over and turned it upside down. I used half of a 3 inch sphere on top but I bet you could take a second small dress and cut it down a bit to make the owl's head (so you don't have to buy more pans). Thanks for the compliment and good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%