Best Way To Keep A Cake Fresh Before Frosting

Decorating By Lavi1127 Updated 14 Jun 2011 , 1:11am by amygortoncakes

Lavi1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lavi1127 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 3

i have tried many ways to keep a cake fresh before frosting..so where do we store and how many days earlier can we keep a cake fresh before frosting....please advice...

2 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 3

I, and a lot of other decorators here freeze cake layers. It can be for a week or 2 wks. or so or even over nite. I have frozen up to 3 months. and so have others . I take out the nite before i want to frost my cakes. Works great for me. I don,t put in fridge. Been told on here that can make your layers or finished cake dry. I believe what was said and stick to it. Leah_s on here says so and i believe her. She,s been at it for a long time and knows what she is talking about. Freezing layers makes them easier to frost and moist, etc. hth

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:11am
post #3 of 3

I too pop room temperature cakes into the freezer. Then when its time to decorate I level them still frozen because its so much easier. Frosting a frozen cake is not ideal...but they thaw amazingly fast.

If I bake and am using the cake within the next 24 hours I just leave it in the pan covered with saran wrap and store it back in the oven....just don't forget its in there icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%