Second Time Filling A Cake...

Decorating By tullicious Updated 11 Jun 2011 , 2:42pm by Monkess

tullicious Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 4

I'm working on my second ever filled cake. This one is a half sheet double layer. I piped my dam, (I even did two rings of the dam), and then put my raspberry filling in. I made sure not to fill above the dam. It was at least a full inch from the edge. Then I put my top layer on and had to fridge it cuz it's cream cheese frosting. I left it in there about an hour to settle before I frosted it. Oops... had some leakage. I tried to clean it up, shoved it in, piped some more frosting on the edge, and then frosted the cake. This morning there's still a tiny bit of leakage. Is there anything I can do to fix this now? Guess I need more practice, huh? icon_cry.gif

3 replies
Crazboutcakes Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 4

I would prob try to get it cold and than put a thicker layer of icing on. That is about all you can do, it sounds like you just put to much filling in, it is suppose to be a thin layer of filling. Hope it works out

fedra Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 4

Try making your damm icing a thicker consistency than your regular icing. I use a very thick buttercream (i can almost roll a ball with it) and pipe it as my damm. It holds up very well and doesn't leak. It even holds up in 98 degree weather!

Monkess Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 4

1.) Use really stiff icing to pipe the dam 2.) Pipe your dam atleast 1" inside the cake, that way when u put on the top it will shift out but still not ooze out. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%