How Long Does Cream Cheese Icing Last In The Fridge?

Decorating By SugarandSpice3674 Updated 10 Jun 2011 , 6:20am by scp1127

SugarandSpice3674 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarandSpice3674 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 2:07am
post #1 of 5

Hello, I use the Whimsical Bakehouse Cream Cheese Frosting recipe and am wondering does any one know how long it will last in the fridge?
It doesnt say on their website and I have some that has been in there for 5 days...
here is the recipe
Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting made with a little butter has the best flavor, texture, and creaminess. A bit of lemon juice keeps it from being overly sweet.

In the bowl of an electric mixer at medium high speed, beat until creamy:

4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
Add and cream:

9 ounces cream cheese (three 3-ounce packages)
Add all at once and beat at low speed until smooth:

6 cups sifted confectioners sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Continue to beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.

Yield: approximately 2 cups

Thank you So Much!

4 replies
Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 2:17am
post #2 of 5

The recipe that i use is simialar to your's and mine says 3 days but i have kept it up to 1 week and it was fine.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 2:18am
post #3 of 5

I use a butter/cream cheese buttercream and it lasts a long time in the fridge. Sugar is a preservative. You can freeze it too.

SugarandSpice3674 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarandSpice3674 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 2:38am
post #4 of 5

Thanks guys, its just confusing, some say 3 days others say 1 week, and some even 3 weeks in the fridge, i'm selling cupcakes so I definitly dont want anyone to get sick, my icing was in the fridge for 5 days, and then I put it in the freezer, think it will be ok? It tasted fine and didnt make me sick (gotta love using yourself as a guinea pig lol)

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 6:20am
post #5 of 5

Logic... How long do each of the components last individually? Find the weakest link, factor in the sugar as a preservative. Cream cheese is the lowest with a shelf life of a couple of months. Just taste it. I don't use it old, but I do use it to experiment and to take pictures for my site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%