Thought You Might Could Use A Chuckle......

Lounge By louanne Updated 9 Jun 2011 , 7:56pm by SarahBeth3

louanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louanne Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 19

it may be my off sense of humor but i had to go had and laugh a little.....

i have a couple come in and ask if they could put a change jar on my counter ( i have one on my counter now, but it is for the local childrens home, a cause that i support and is one of the causes my church financially helps to support) anyways, i ask them what it is for ( i get request from time to time and typically dont mind if it is for a worthy
cause and i can decorate it to look nice, not tacky on the counter)

anyways, they pull out the canister and it is a picture of them with a little spill about how they are only 17 and so in love and want to have a big fairytale wedding but their parents won't pay for it, so please donate to us so we can have the wedding of our dream.

keeping a staright face and being very nice i just tell them, i am sorry but i cannot place it out, then they asked if i would be willing to donate a wedding cake to them, again i had to tell them, sorry i am a small business and if i donated cakes to everyone who couldnt afford one i would be out of business in two weeks. They were very disappointed but fortunately did not cause a scene.

Now granted i have donated cakes for make a wish kids and sometimes for kids at the childrens home, but those are causes very close to me, i cannot be in the business of doanting cakes becasue you are so in love you cant wait to get married until you can afford to pay for a wedding.

18 replies
Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 19

Well, if you don't ask you don't get...... icon_lol.gif

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 19

But but but... It's their DREAM! And just think of how many other 17 year olds at the wedding may want to get married and hear you do free cakes for sob stories!

Kids these days... icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 19

They need to step out of their dreams, and into reality.

I'll give them credit for the ballsy move, and sadly the younger generations coming up are so use to having things handed to them.

louanne Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 19

it was very hard to keep a straight face, so when they left i went behind the cooler and had a good laugh where no one could see or hear me. There were a few customers in sitting at tables and just looked up with a raised eyebrow.

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 19

I am LOL right now! That is certainly a grand plan, I wish them well and I commend their creativity and originality- HOWEVER, I can promise you that the local BMW dealership is not going to let me place a jar in their showroom just because I'm over the hill and have not acquired my dream car yet! My first thought was....if you can't afford the wedding then you can't afford the honeymoon, house, taxes, kids, etc. Work longer, Date longer and Wait longer!

Thanks for the smile - as I pay my stack of bills!

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 19

icon_eek.gif

I wonder if they actually got anyone to put one of their jars out for them icon_lol.gif

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 19

Good grief! icon_confused.gif Now I think I may have heard it all! icon_lol.gif

Tell them to send in an application to "Dream Weddings" with David Tutara (sp?)

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 19

This sounds like the sponsored weddings..You go around and ask/find everyone to DONATE the items to fund your wedding..Yeah Right!! Star Jones did this some years back when she had a lavish wedding...Funny a few years later she got divorced...That would be the day I would ask people to donate to my wedding for free...But that's just me....LOL

louanne Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 19

oh no, no david tutera weddings, he gets people to doante everything which is how they put on the fab weddings, i dont know that i could say no to david tutera ( i use to be in wedding planning so he's still on a pedastal in my mind)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:35pm
post #11 of 19

Oh louanne, I think you blew it. Just think of the advertising opportunity here! They will invite lots of young people who will see your cake and want you to make one for them too! And they'd put your name in the program. Everyone keeps their wedding program and refers back to it for years to come. Why I'd even bet the young couple will be submitting pictures to the local papers!

^
|
sarcasm

Seriously, I would NOT have been able to keep a straight face. I would have laughed out loud right in front of them.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:40pm
post #12 of 19

My husband and I were engaged when I was 18...and we didn't marry until four years later, after we'd paid cash for the entire wedding out of our own pockets. I knew my parents couldn't throw some lavish wedding (which wasn't what I wanted anyway), so he and I just decided to pay as we could. We were both college students at the time, so it was slow-going, but we had a beautiful wedding, didn't owe a cent, and didn't burden either of our parents with the expense. The only place you find "delayed gratification" these days is in an antiquated dictionary.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:41pm
post #13 of 19

Clearly I am showing my own age (51) but can you legally even get married at 17? Or only in certain states! Who gets to make their divorce cake? Thanks for sharing!

louanne Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:49pm
post #14 of 19

certain states allow marriage at 17 without parental consent, others you have to have parental consent until 18, they were 17 but i guess they would be 18 by their wedding date or here they would have to parental consent.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:13pm
post #15 of 19

Is GA still 14 with parental consent? I remember about 5 years ago a "young lady" and a big bruha because her mother was all for her getting married and her father was not.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:21pm
post #16 of 19

Holy cow! I got a letter that's kind of a similar thing, but the bride was making the case that many important and influential people would be at her wedding, so it would behoove me to give her a cake for something like 300 people. She also attached an advertising rate sheet in case I wanted to buy advertising in her wedding program. And she would let me come to the reception and make a speech about my business to drum up business from the important and influential people. People are crazy and entitled...

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:26pm
post #17 of 19

Dear lord, I sure hope nobody is sappy enough to buy into that absurdity icon_confused.gif

I think I'd have given them a lesson on what a charity/non-profit is and how they don't qualify.

When will people get the message that if you can't afford it, YOU CAN'T HAVE IT, and it's not up to the rest of society to give it to you?????????????
Gawd icon_mad.gif

Rae

louanne Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:42pm
post #18 of 19

i was talking with one of the planners/ rental people in town and she said they came to her shop wanting a donation of decorations. We had a good laugh, we both once a month get together and i donate a cake and she donates a bounce house use to the childrens home for them to have a monthly joint celebration for the kids who have had birthdays that are in the childrens homes in town.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:56pm
post #19 of 19

If you donated the cake then you would have felt obligated to donate to their lawyer costs when they came asking for that saying they were getting divorced. So good call. icon_razz.gif

Thanks for the laugh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%