Looking For Flower Ideas/suggestions?

Decorating By kkbritt8 Updated 10 Jun 2011 , 2:23pm by Dejasnow

kkbritt8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkbritt8 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 10

I will be making a retirement cake for my boss who loves all flowers. I've already checked and she doesn't have a specific favorites.

Can anyone suggest which flowers might be good to do so that it looks like a nice assortment, but not too much or too little? Please keep in mind that I will have to be purchasing the molds for the flowers, which is why I'm asking for suggestions. I don't want to have to purchase 10 different molds.

Also, where is the best place to purchase the molds? My local cake store always seem to be out.

Thank you!!

9 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 10

When you say "molds" for the flowers, do you mean veiners? Or, do you mean cutters? Many flowers can be veined by using a dresden tool like this one which I highly recommend: [url]

]

She will show you how to make a rose without using a fancy cutter. Later you can purchase more as you add to your list of accomplishments.

Have fun!

Win Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 10

Sorry, here is a better picture and description of the veiner tool. It's is actually on Edna's site:

http://designmeacake.com/catalog/i19.html

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 10

I use a large poppy petal veiner to vein all of my petals for the different flowers.

kkbritt8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkbritt8 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you both for your input. I have a Wilton Gumpaste flower kit. I'll have to double check it becuase I don't remember it coming with a whole lot. I may have a different one.

THanks again!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 10

Wilton redid their gumpaste flower kit and it has much better stuff than it used to...if you have the old one, you might want to consider buying the new one too. To get the most use out of it, you really need to buy the flower impression set that they just came out with too...the one with the textures and the flower centers, and a groove for making wired petals.

Win Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:15am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Wilton redid their gumpaste flower kit and it has much better stuff than it used to...if you have the old one, you might want to consider buying the new one too. To get the most use out of it, you really need to buy the flower impression set that they just came out with too...the one with the textures and the flower centers, and a groove for making wired petals.

LOVE that mat! I used it so much on my last cake. YAY Wilton for deciding to run with the big dogs!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:42am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

LOVE that mat! I used it so much on my last cake. YAY Wilton for deciding to run with the big dogs!

No kidding! I was so excited to see Wilton coming out with stuff I actually wanted icon_lol.gif and it all works great too...the flower cutters, the impression mat, and also those silicone molds.

Dejasnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dejasnow Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:19am
post #9 of 10

Just a thought but if you add access to a bakery or grocery store that makes the edible images you could bring in a good photo from the movie and place that on it .. they have most of the writing and decorations be in colors of red and black maybe use some edible glitter .. since we all know vampires sparkle lol icon_smile.gif Just a few ideas good luck !!!!

Dejasnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dejasnow Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 2:23pm
post #10 of 10

I now realize that i made a post on the wrong question ! lol im sorry best of luck with all of your pretty flowers !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%