Can You Make German Chocolate Cake As Cupcakes?

Baking By GillianNewlin Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 3:24pm by GillianNewlin

GillianNewlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GillianNewlin Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 1:49am
post #1 of 7

Hello everyone!!!

So, I have made the traditional German Chocolate Cake before, which is typically a 3 layer cake. I was wanting to make it as cupcakes for Father's Day (its his favorite cake) and I wondered if I could make it as cupcakes?!?!

I have been searching the internet for just one recipe that would tell me I could do that and how to do it, (like timing and all that) Cause the regular recipe says to lay wax paper at the bottom of the cake pans...

Does anyone know how this could work? Or has anyone tried this? I know this is a particularly special cake, so I just wondered if anyone had tried it as a cupcake, and how it came out.

Thanks soooo much! You all are always so helpful!

Gillian

6 replies
cookiemom51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemom51 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:09am
post #2 of 7

I think it should work although I have not tried it myself. The cupcake liners should take the place of lining the cake pans. Most cake recipes transfer to cupcakes just fine.

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:15am
post #3 of 7

I've done German Chocolate cupcakes many times.... Just inject some of the coconut pecan icing into the cupcake and some on top.

Very very simple

Creative_Cookies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:23am
post #4 of 7

I have made them many times they are very good.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:56am
post #5 of 7

Agreed... easy and a favorite. Just make your regular batter that you like. Fill one cupcake liner 2/3 full and one a scant 3/4 full. Check for the rise since many scratch cupcakes rise differently. As soon as you know how high to fill, fill the others and bake.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 6:43am
post #6 of 7

yes its actually easier than it seems! just bake up your normal chocolate batter in cupcake form (2/3 full), make the coconut/pecan icing in a separate container, and when the cupcakes are done let them cool. i normally inject the cupcakes with chocolate buttercream and then top with the coconut/pecan icing, but i'm sure i'd work just as well the other way around icon_biggrin.gif

GillianNewlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GillianNewlin Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much! Every reply was very helpful! I'm excited to try it out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%