Freezing Cupcakes

Decorating By eggchick Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 3:11pm by eggchick

eggchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eggchick Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 6

I am going to be making cupcakes four days ahead and will freeze them. I know I should thaw them in the fridge to avoid condensation, but how should I freeze them - in a paper box or in a plastic holder? The plastic holder tends to hold moisture in while the box doesn't so much. Thanks for any tips.

5 replies
macie2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macie2011 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 6

I would buy some freezer paper to freeze them in.

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 6

I usually wrap mine in a baking pan in Saran wrap and foil... sometimes a couple layers... just good enough where you dont have air passing through

dorothymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorothymarie Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 6

I froze 48 cupcakes 2 weeks ago and just let them cool, left them in the cupcake pan, covered them loosely with saran wrap, 2 layers, then put them in the freezer until ready to ice. I didn't thaw them out before icing because they don't freeze solid. Came out great. I like the texture better when cupcakes are frozen first before icing.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 6

i always freeze cupcakes some with icing some plain. I use a shirt or robe box.. (you can buy these or stores will give them to you.

I always put parchment paper in the bottom of the box and on top of the cupcakes. I let them freeze with icing first then put the parchment on top of them.. keep it loose.. but tucked around the edges of the box. then pop back in the freezer. I take out what cupcakes I need then pop back in freezer. its great because I use leftover batter for them and always have them available for quick deserts for people who stop over for coffee or grand kids or me when I get a sweet tooth.

I have kept the as long as 6 wks and they are like they are just baked..
always just thaw on the counter. Only takes a little while. then yum.

eggchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eggchick Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all the helpful tips!! I think I will put them in a cupcake box with a lid and freeze them before icing them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%