Egg Free Cake?

Baking By craise79 Updated 12 Jun 2011 , 10:27pm by michellew

craise79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craise79 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 7

I just had a friend ask me to make an egg free cake for her daughter...I have never done this before. I was hoping for some tips please! Will this type of cake hold up to carving? Can I use an egg substitute, or do those contain eggs? I don't want to make anyone sick..I'm kind of freaking out!

6 replies
regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 1:34am
post #2 of 7

Here's a link to a recipe for egg free cupcakes. This caker has a blog and may be able to advise you if this recipe is suitable for cake carving.

http://artofdessert.blogspot.com/2010/10/egg-free-chocolate-cupcakes.html

HTH

craise79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craise79 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:01am
post #3 of 7

Thank you soooooooo much!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 6:08am
post #4 of 7

The egg substitute was a big disappointment for me. Look for top reviewed vegan cakes as they are very popular. If you want to sub the margarine for butter, that will be fine. But vegan recipes have come a long way and are making their way to the mainstream. I just made my first vegan wedding cake. The reviews were unanimous that they were better than the non-vegan cupcakes. Like anything unfamiliar, it is trial and error, but that egg substitute was the worst of my experiments. I made seven top recipes. I then made changes to the three best. The results were so good that I added it to my regular bakery offerings. The best are the ones that use vinegar.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 7:13am
post #5 of 7

Wacky cake recipes:

http://tinyurl.com/66apmbu

HTH

cbiscuit85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cbiscuit85 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 7

I personally don't like egg replacers like Ener-G or others. I find that they taste metallic even after baking. I prefer to use ground flax seed in water, or applesauce depending on the type of cake. Vinegar works well also.

michellew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellew Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 7

hi I use this recipe

350g self raising flour
3 tsp baking powder
250 caster sugar
10 tbsp sunflower oil 350 ml water
2 tsp vannila extract.

mix dry ingredents, add wet ingredents, pour into two 8 inch sandwitch tins, bake about 30 mins,

mine turned out very nice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%