Between The Tiers

Decorating By Dulcinea2805 Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 5:58pm by Dulcinea2805

Dulcinea2805 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dulcinea2805 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 3:08am
post #1 of 4

If you have a small cake, lets say a 2 tier cake, do you leave the cardboard between the tiers?
I have been trying to learn from ttorials, but I can not find that info. is necesary to leave the carboard between the tiers in any cake? thanks!!!!

3 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 3:20am
post #2 of 4

If you don't leave the top tier on its own cardboard, the support system below it will pierce into the cake thereby providing no "support" at all to prevent the top tier from smashing the lower tier. It's necessary.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

Also, the board is useful when slicing so the top tier can be served separately from the bottom tier.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 3:27am
post #3 of 4

Here's how you want to layer it, starting from the bottom and going up

Cake Board
Cake Round (thinner piece of cardboard)
1st Cake Layer
Filling
2nd Cake Layer
(THIS COMPLETES YOUR BOTTOM TIER)

Before you continue, you want to put supports in the bottom tier using their dowels or bubble tea straws (like McDonalds straws), cut to all the same height. That way, when your next tier goes on top, the cake round on bottom will sit on the supports, and it won't sink into the bottom tier.

Cake Round (same size as your top tier)
3rd Cake Layer
Filling
4th Cake Layer

Its a good idea to put each layer together separately, and then once the bottom tier is "glued" to the cake board and it's got supports, you can glue the top tier on, and dowel thru the entire cake (I sharpen my dowel so it pokes thru the cardboard cake rounds).

HTH!! icon_smile.gif

Dulcinea2805 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dulcinea2805 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for this information!!!Is really gonna be usefull for me icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%