Wedding Cake Ribbons

Decorating By cistebycrystal Updated 9 Jun 2011 , 6:03pm by cistebycrystal

cistebycrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cistebycrystal Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 6

Just a quick question regarding wedding cakes with the ribbons along the bottom of the tiers. Are these normally real ribbon or fondant? If it is fondant how do I get the texture of a real ribbon? Thanks so much!

5 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 6

You can use either real ribbon or fondant as a ribbon. It seems to me that a lot of wedding cakes use real ribbon on the bottom borders. If you use a fondant ribbon, it will have the texture of fondant, not real ribbon.

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 6

They do sell edible ribbon. I have never worked with but I looked into and it was more cost effective to go with real ribbon. I think fondant is hard to work with to make sure it doesn't stretch and looks even around the entire cake.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 6

They can be either, it depends on preference. Don't use wired ribbon though.

You can get textured rolling pins to emboss the fondant if you go for a fondant ribbon.

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 6

Luck's sells pre-made fondant ribbons on a roll. Just peel them off and stick. I've never used them, but sure looks easy.

cistebycrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cistebycrystal Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone! Im thinking to go with the real ribbon as that may look the best and be more cost effective! However, my interest is definitely peaked about the edible ribbon and pre-made fondant ribbon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%