Cake Boards

Decorating By weidertm24 Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 5:59pm by TinkerCakes

weidertm24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weidertm24 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:40am
post #1 of 8

I'm wanting a thick cake board so I can wrap a piece of ribbon around it however all I can find is the small 1/4in ones. Can I just glue these together? Also suggestions on where to get cake boards for cheap? I've looked at hobby lobby and they don't have the pretty silver ones, which is what i'm looking for..

Thanks in advance.

7 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:46am
post #2 of 8

Yes, you can glue or tape them together. You should be able to find a local supplier for silver cake drums.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:55am
post #3 of 8

You can also cut a cake board from 1/2 thick foam board or use a wood board cut to size. Michaels carries a small selection of the silver cake drums.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:45am
post #4 of 8

I don't like to use the cardboards if they get the slightest bit of moisture your asking for problems.

I like to use the 1/2 foam core and if it is a small cake you can get the thinner foam core and use one or double the thickness.

If it is a big cake I always use a wooden cake board (love home depot)
and I give the client the choice of paying for the board if they don't want to worry about returning it (and the plastic pillars etc the same) or giving me a deposit on the return of all items.

If you are looking for just the plain cardboard cake boards you can buy them at resturant supply stores such as GFS (gordon food service) they have them for pizza stores... I buy a case of 10" or 12" boards I think there are 150? or more and it is like 11.00 I don't remember exactly because they last a long time when I use them to flip cakes on and move cakes ..don't feel bad using them for odd things when they aren't expensive like from wilton.

I also buy parchemnt paper full sheet size sheets 50 sheets for 3.00 and you can order parchement circles also if you want them pre cut. I have 12x12 squares that I have had a very long time.. and used the 8"10" 12" rounds up quickly. Now I just rip some up to fit into the pans.. dont have to be too round or square.

weidertm24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weidertm24 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks so much! Think i'll have to look into the foam board. We actually just got a GFS pretty close to my house so maybe i'll have to check it out.

Thanks again!

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 8

Don't know if you have a Dollar Tree but they sell foam board there!!!! They had the same board at AC Moore and they were $2.79 each ....and I only paid a dollor!!!icon_smile.gif

The only downfall is... I can't cut perfect circles and when I ice my cakes I like using the edge of the circle as a guide so it's smooth....doesn't work when I cut them myself.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 8

Jason-lisa,
Use a cardboard cake board as a guide and trace it. Then cut the foam board with a knife.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 5:59pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiemarie

Jason-lisa,
Use a cardboard cake board as a guide and trace it. Then cut the foam board with a knife.

Yeah, that is exactly what I do. I bought an exacto knife thinking it would help...they still don't come out great, there aren't terrible, but not as perfect as they cake boards you purchase.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%