Fondant Fresh?

Decorating By jenicharles Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 1:23am by jenicharles

jenicharles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenicharles Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone tell me if a fondant covered cake that is baked on Tuesday will
still be fresh for a party that is on Sunday?
I have 1 wedding cake and 2 birthday cakes to make for the same weekend.
One birthday cake will be fondant covered so I am hoping I can do it first and then work on the other 2 later in the week.

6 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 12:06am
post #2 of 7

Yes, it definitely will be all right. Fondant is wonderful because it "seals" the cake and doesn't let it dry out or go bad very fast. I've done them a lot longer than 5 or 6 days in advance on occasion with no problem at all.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 12:50am
post #3 of 7

It's true that fondant seals the moisture into the cake and doesn't let it dry out. However, it does nothing of the sort as far as the cake "going bad" ... if something within the cake is perishable, the fondant will not make it any less so. The cake is still subject to the same temperature and to increased moisture, which we all know is what makes bacteria thrive ... so the texture is safe, but I would watch what fillings you're using if you're planning on letting the cake go for days at a time.

Marianna46 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 1:07am
post #4 of 7

Of course you're right, emiyeric. As soon as I posted my reply, I though, "I should have said something about perishable ingredients". Thanks for mentioning it. I totally avoid perishable ingredients whenever possible, because I have such problems refrigerating fondant cakes in the hyper-humid climate here in Cancún.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:14am
post #5 of 7

Yep, hope I didn't sound like I was trying to correct you, Marianna! I know you know this stuff way better than I do, but I just wanted to make sure the OP didn't get the wrong impression from the wording icon_smile.gif. Cheers!

Marianna46 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 7

Oh, no, emiyeric, I didn't take it that way at all! And I'm sure you know at least as much as I do about all of this - I just open my mouth and say things without thinking things all the way through sometimes. I'm really glad you pointed that out!

jenicharles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenicharles Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:23am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%