Frosting Falls

Baking By DangerousCupcake Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 1:33am by DangerousCupcake

DangerousCupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DangerousCupcake Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 4

Hi! First time post here! I'm semi-newly obsessed with cupcakes, and I'm making my family fat while I experiment. I made red velvet with cream cheese frosting for a Memorial Day barbecue, and they were really good -- but the frosting fell while I was piping it. It's not a problem I typically have with buttercream. I used a 12m tip to pipe a big round swirl, but halfway through each swirl, they were already drooping. It hardened (dried?) enough to not fall off the tops but it was far from fluffy. It was an extremely day here in the south by the beach -- could that affect cream cheese frosting? Any ideas on how I can prevent this from happening the rest of my very hot and humid summer without changing the taste of the frosting?

3 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 6:03am
post #2 of 4

I make mine and refrigerate it until it gets to the right consistency. Then I pipe it and return it to the refrigerator. I take it out in time for it to be a nice temp for eating.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 6:46am
post #3 of 4

Cream cheese icing is a fickle beast...l0l I found a cream cheese icing recipe on here that acts just like buttercream....can also be used under fondant perfectly. It work really good and doesn't melt like the 1st cream cheese icing I had always used. So for more of a drizzle type or filler I use my original recipe & then use the other for everything else.

It's a variation of Indydebi's buttercream:

"Crusting Cream Cheese Icing

1 2/3 cups Crisco
1 8 ounce box cream cheese (softened to room temperature)
4 LB. powdered sugar (SIFTED)
6 tablespoons Dream Whip
2 tablespoons vanilla (clear if you need white icing)
1 to 1 1/3 cups milk (I use half and half)

Put Crisco and cream cheese in mixing bowl and whip for 10-15 minutes.
Add about 1 1/2 pounds of the sifted powdered sugar, about 1/2 the milk and Dream Whip and mix until blended. Incorporate the rest of the powdered sugar, another 1/2 cup milk and vanilla. Let whip for at least 20 minutes. You may need to add up to 1/3 cups more milk...maybe even more. Just have to add until it "looks right". I like my icing pretty thick (still spreadable but thick)
I have also added 6 ounces of melted white chocolate to this icing and it is really, really good. It will require more milk if you add the chocolate, just add a teaspoon at a time until it "looks right". I used the icing with white chocolate added for a red velvet cake and it was a great flavor combination.

HTH

DangerousCupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DangerousCupcake Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 1:33am
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much! I didn't have it refrigerated in between bags, and I would like to experiment with more recipes. Already planning this week's batch! (I want to do them more often but my husband says I'm turning him into Santa Claus.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%