Crusting Buttercream That Tastes Like Canned Icing Please

Baking By JTrowRN Updated 13 Nov 2011 , 4:18am by JTrowRN

JTrowRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JTrowRN Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:42am
post #1 of 5

Hi,

I am looking for a crusting buttercream recipe that tastes like canned icing. My husband prefers canned. The problem I have for the cakes that I bake is that canned does not crust. I tried the basic confectioners' sugar, crisco, butter, almond, and vanilla today and husband hated it. icon_sad.gif Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

4 replies
cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:59am
post #2 of 5

I wonder if you just added more powdered sugar to the canned frosting if it would crust. You could experiment to see if that would work.

EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 31 May 2011 , 3:04am
post #3 of 5

I have had this problem before with people actually requesting canned frosting over home made but like you said, it doesn't crust so what I found works is to add a can of frosting to your regular home made BC recipe. It can fool people into thinking its canned because of the consistency and taste but it will crust! HTH Good Luck!

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 31 May 2011 , 3:14am
post #4 of 5

Simple. Use canned icing for your DHs cake, and crusting BC for your regular cakes.

JTrowRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JTrowRN Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 4:18am
post #5 of 5

A little late...but thanks everyone for your input. I will have to try adding the one can to my crusting recipe. I have tried adding powdered sugar but I'm personally not a fan of the overly sweet taste, but that doesn't mean it is not good. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%