Just Discovered These 'decorating Tongs'

Decorating By SugarandSpice3674 Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 12:25am by Coral3

SugarandSpice3674 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarandSpice3674 Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 19

Iam making an order and saw these tweezers, has anyone tried them? they look like they'd cut time thats for sure.
http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=5097&step=4

18 replies
Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 19

I haven't used them but took a class with Nicholas Lodge and he uses them. He says they really save time so I'd buy them! icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 19

I ordered them recently but haven't tried them yet...

WhenTalentsCollide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhenTalentsCollide Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 19

Look like they would be good for the larger sized dragees, but maybe a bit cumbersome for the smaller ones, unless you were dropping them into place...

i picked up a pair of angled head tweezers for placing dragees from fancyflours.com

SugarandSpice3674 Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 19

Well I think im going to order them, and some angled tweezers, then hopefully im set , I'll let you guys know what i think when i get a chance to use them. Thanks!

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 19

I have a pair. I love them. They have a littlt indentation for the pearl to set in and the rubberized tip is great so that the sugar pearls do not slip. I use them all the time.

SugarandSpice3674 Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:15am
post #7 of 19

I'm excited to get them now, thanks for letting me know theyre worth ordering icon_smile.gif

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 19

Just a heads up, if you've not ordered from Golda's before, and you live in Canada.
Golda's shipping charges are very expensive for Canada. They charge more for Canadian orders than they do for American orders, and, Golda's is located in Canada.
Be sure to check how much your shipping charge is before confirming your order, as it could be triple or more than the cost of the item/items.

If you live near the store, then no worries as you can go pick your order up.
I ordered a tiny cutter ($4) that would have weighed next to nothing from Golda's once, but cancelled when I saw they wanted $11.96 to ship it to British Columbia. That was the end of my dealings with Golda's. They are way too dear for my pocketbook.

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 31 May 2011 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 19

There are a few like these on ebay if you search rubber tip tweezers, some are cheaper, like alot of things the price goes up when they add to the cake decorating section icon_confused.gif

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 31 May 2011 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 19

I just spent 9+ hours holding those exact tongs this weekend! Let me tell you, if I didn't have those I have no idea how in the world I would have put all the dragees onto the cake I was doing. Definitely worth the $6 that I paid for them!!!

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 31 May 2011 , 4:13pm
post #11 of 19

Oh I need these too! I have regular angled tweezers and you don't know how many dragees go shooting across the room when I try to pick those slippery buggers up!! The rubber end is where it's at I'm sure! That makes so much sense so they don't slip! Duh!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 31 May 2011 , 4:26pm
post #12 of 19
SugarandSpice3674 Posted 31 May 2011 , 10:57pm
post #13 of 19

I havent placed my order just yet, but i will be this weekend, I saw how much their shipping is too! But some of the things I need I can only find from them in Canada,but it is a large order I'm making so my shipping will be $15 for about $120 order, I guess I have to suck it up and pay the shipping to avoid the brokerage and duty I'd get from ordering in the US, I did just get my order from Vanilla Food Company,they have $7 flat rate shipping to Canada and $9.95 flat rate to US, customer service was awesome too. I checked out icing inspirations, bc they have free shipping on tuesdays on orders over $75, but they dont quite have everything i need icon_sad.gif I cant wait to get those tweezers, I'll have to find an excuse to try them lol

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 31 May 2011 , 11:30pm
post #14 of 19

I like the looks of them. I think they could be used for other things as well.

Just on a side note....for those of you who are thinking of ordering from the Canadian website........... Canada Post is in the midst of a possible strike starting Tuesday midnight and all delivery may be stopped. If you need the tweezer soon, I would suggest checking into the delivery time anticipated.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:01am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCo

Oh I need these too! I have regular angled tweezers and you don't know how many dragees go shooting across the room when I try to pick those slippery buggers up!! The rubber end is where it's at I'm sure! That makes so much sense so they don't slip! Duh!

LOL...that cracked me up! SO true!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:10am
post #16 of 19

I just learned a trick the other day at work. I was putting sugar pearls on a cake but wanted them to go in certain areas. My boss says, "wanna learn a trick?!" She grabs a wooden skewer, dips just the tip into the buttercream, and then picks up a pearl with the sticky frosting. Sits the pearl on the cake and goes back for more.

My mind exploded when I saw her do that. It's my new favorite trick.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:15am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

I just learned a trick the other day at work. I was putting sugar pearls on a cake but wanted them to go in certain areas. My boss says, "wanna learn a trick?!" She grabs a wooden skewer, dips just the tip into the buttercream, and then picks up a pearl with the sticky frosting. Sits the pearl on the cake and goes back for more.

I'm intrigued! Does it leave any buttercream on the pearl? I'd be worried that it might affect the shine on things like silver dragees - ?

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:21am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

I'm intrigued! Does it leave any buttercream on the pearl? I'd be worried that it might affect the shine on things like silver dragees - ?

It does leave a tiny bit on the pearl. If you're just placing white pearls, then just plop them on. But if you're doing silver or other colored ones, sit them on kinda like you would for buttercream roses, place it and kinda slid the stick out from under. You can hold the pearl in place with your finger too. Maybe I should do a little video since it's kinda hard to explain. . .

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:25am
post #19 of 19

I get what you mean. I'll be trying this out next time I have a heap of peals to deal with, thanks for the tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%