Huge Air Bubbles Under Fondant

Decorating By bltaylo3 Updated 29 May 2011 , 9:32pm by Kitagrl

bltaylo3 Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 8

This hasn't happened to me until very recently. After covering a cake in fondant, and feeling totally pleased with it I placed it in the fridge. Within a few hours, I notice HUGE air bubbles forming on the sides of the cake and making distended places. I can pierce them with a pin, but the fondant is set and will crack or have a crater when the air is released. WTH????

7 replies
cownsj Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 8

I used to have that happen until I read from others here about the gas inside the baked cake and how I should let the cake sit overnight before icing and covering it. I haven't had a problem with that since. You will also get bubbles if you are working in heat and the cake is in the heat as the marshmallow part wants to expand, (kinda like a slower version of putting a marshmallow peep in the microwave) but if it's happening after it's in your fridge, I'd try baking the cake one day, letting it sit out overnight, then starting work on it.

CalhounsCakery Posted 29 May 2011 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

I used to have that happen until I read from others here about the gas inside the baked cake and how I should let the cake sit overnight before icing and covering it. I haven't had a problem with that since. You will also get bubbles if you are working in heat and the cake is in the heat as the marshmallow part wants to expand, (kinda like a slower version of putting a marshmallow peep in the microwave) but if it's happening after it's in your fridge, I'd try baking the cake one day, letting it sit out overnight, then starting work on it.




I understand the part about letting the cake sit over night, I to have started that, but have I missed something about Marshmellows? Or are you refering to marshmellow fondant? Very confused!!! icon_confused.gif

cownsj Posted 29 May 2011 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 8

I'm sorry. Yes, I was referring to the marshmallowey, stretchy part of the fondant.

CalhounsCakery Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

I'm sorry. Yes, I was referring to the marshmallowey, stretchy part of the fondant.




Ahhh, sorry, I got confused. icon_smile.gif I've never tried marshmellow fondant. I make rolled fondant. That makes sense tho...

Kitagrl Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 8

I think it might have something to do with condensation inside the cake (usually between the cake and icing, not the fondant) creating a very small gap that collects air....

bltaylo3 Posted 29 May 2011 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 8

well, I have been letting my cakes rest and actually wrapping them and putting them in the fridge before I level them or frost them. If it is condensation under the fondant, what do I do to aviod it?

Kitagrl Posted 29 May 2011 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bltaylo3

well, I have been letting my cakes rest and actually wrapping them and putting them in the fridge before I level them or frost them. If it is condensation under the fondant, what do I do to aviod it?




Its under the buttercream...between the buttercream and the cake.

Just be sure when you are icing your cake you are icing it firmly enough to where there are no pockets of air...that's all I can tell you, I don't think anybody knows 100% how to avoid it....

Also make sure your buttercream is smooth enough to where there are no gaps between the bc and fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%