Silicone Mat For Fondant

Decorating By mommyia Updated 29 May 2011 , 3:22pm by ptanyer

mommyia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyia Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:04am
post #1 of 2

Hi all!

I would just like to ask if any silicone baking mat can be used to roll out fondant?i learned about the Ateco fondant mat on the internet and wanted to buy one.However, I don't think it is available here in the Philippines so I bought the Siliconezone baking mat instead. As promised,the fondant peeled off fairly easy,but then I noticed marks that resembled pot holes on the side that was in contact with the mat. I'm not sure if I just did something wrong or is it really not ideal for fondant?
I hope someone can shed some light on this issue. It will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

1 reply
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 29 May 2011 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 2

I use a silicone (silpat) mat for rolling out fondant and gumpaste all the time. The "marks" are on the underside of the fondant which is placed on the cake, and the top is smooth. No problem at all. I have the Ateco one for large fondant work, but for everything else I use the silicone (silpat) mats. My siplat's have never been used in the oven because I prefer to use them for my fondant/gumpaste work icon_smile.gif

Hope that helps!
Pam

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%