How Is This Cake Made?

Decorating By raelynette Updated 29 May 2011 , 5:28am by mahal50881

raelynette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raelynette Posted 28 May 2011 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 13

A prospective client asked me if I could make this cake for her. I've never seen this before, what is it and how do you do it?

12 replies
sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 29 May 2011 , 12:05am
post #2 of 13

Can you put up a picture?

raelynette Posted 29 May 2011 , 12:43am
post #3 of 13

GRRR....I can't get the picture to attach here! I posted it on my cake blog if you wouldn't mind looking there. Its the first one at the top of the page, thanks!

http://maggieaustincake.com/?page_id=16
(Petal Pink Frill or Rose Frill)

10xHigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
10xHigh Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:21am
post #4 of 13

the design looks like a maggie austin cake....she is amazing her cakes are modern and clean. it is made out of thin rolled fondant. add tylose to fondant to make it stiffer and so the ruffles keep their shape. to make the ruffles paper thin try using a large ball tool as well. Good luck!

10xHigh Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:27am
post #5 of 13

It is a Maggie Austin Cake!!!! As soon as I saw it i knew her work....If you google her and click for images your pic is one of the ones under her work..She is from the DC area.

raelynette Posted 29 May 2011 , 3:08am
post #6 of 13

thank you so much for your help!!!! I posted it on here thinking maybe I'd hear something eventually and here you two responded within the hour!! You're awesome, thank you! Now I just have to see if I can pull it off and make it look at least 1/2 as beautiful. thanks!

10xHigh Posted 29 May 2011 , 3:24am
post #7 of 13

Just take your time and chill the strips a little to give you time to place around the cake....you got this girl!

10xHigh Posted 29 May 2011 , 3:33am
post #8 of 13

I said chill it a bit because it is really hit in my area right now and my mmf seems to melt as soon as I touch it. Make sure to keep Saran wrap over your pieces so they don't dry out too quickly and show cracks. You are very welcome.

raelynette Posted 29 May 2011 , 3:42am
post #9 of 13

I just looked through her gallery, her cakes are amazing! I've never used the MMF recipe from CC. Do you think that would work here or should I stick to traditional fondant? I hate to use the traditional stuff cause it doesn't taste so great and I've heard great things about MMF.

10xHigh Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:08am
post #10 of 13

I sent you a private msg with my mmf recipe. Hope it helps icon_smile.gif

raelynette Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:12am
post #11 of 13

thank you!

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:35am
post #12 of 13

Sorry, I don't have anything useful to add but wow!! Those cakes are fabulous! Good luck and please share lessons learned! icon_smile.gif

mahal50881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahal50881 Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:28am
post #13 of 13

My sister wanted a Maggie Austen look alike cake for her wedding so I made her one! Check out the wedding cake with ruffles in my photos. It was super easy to do!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%