Question About Covering Styrofoam With Fondant

Decorating By specialtycakesbysara Updated 30 May 2011 , 4:08pm by specialtycakesbysara

specialtycakesbysara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialtycakesbysara Posted 28 May 2011 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 6

I am going to be covering styrofoam with fondant for the first time and I wasn't sure if I need to put anything on the styrofoam itself, or can I just put the fondant right on it?? I am covering two round flat circles and then two spheres, any tips?? icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 28 May 2011 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 6

Fondant won't stick to dry styrofoam, so you need to either spritz in with water, or apply some shortening. I usually use shortening because I've found it's easier to remove the fondant from the dummy afterwards.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

Fondant won't stick to dry styrofoam, so you need to either spritz in with water, or apply some shortening. I usually use shortening because I've found it's easier to remove the fondant from the dummy afterwards.

Ditto!

Rae

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:12am
post #4 of 6

You can also brush piping gel onto the styrofoam, and if you wrap the styrofoam in plastic wrap you can reuse it over and over.

HTH

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:21am
post #5 of 6

You can re-use a dummy that's been coated in shortening, too. No wrinkles or crinkles, either, and the shortening helps keep the back side of the fondant soft enough that it's soooooo easy to remove, even weeks to months later.

Rae

specialtycakesbysara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialtycakesbysara Posted 30 May 2011 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone!! I coated the styrafoam with Crisco and it worked like a charm!! Super easy too!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%