Cake Storage

Decorating By SugrBritches38 Updated 27 May 2011 , 3:21pm by SugrBritches38

SugrBritches38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugrBritches38 Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone! I am a hobbiest cake decorator (if that is such a thing lol) I have found that i stress over doing cakes the week of which i am sure is normal.

I am afraid that i will give a "bad" cake meaning making someone ill...so
I have a bad habit of making the cake itself the day before it is delivered. I also do the decorating as well the day before. SOOOO my ? is...how can i avoid this stressing...What is the longest i can store a cake and icing and how far in advance can i make the colors for the icing?

Thank you for your much needed advice thumbs_up.gif

Christine

3 replies
dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 4

Hi and welcome to CC. And yes, there is a such thing as a hobby cake decorator. You will find myself and plenty others here.

You can do a lot items several days, if not weeks in advance. The cake itself, I often bake ahead (1 to 2 weeks) and freeze them. Then you can pull them out and let them thaw the night before or morning of when you need to decorate.
Most buttercreams can be made and colored in advance also, as well as the same for fondant. If I have a cake to make for the weekend, I will spend what time I have on Monday - Thursday making and coloring icing. You can also make sugar flowers or fondant/gumpaste items ahead of time. Just leave them uncovered and out of the way to harden.

Hope this helps and hope you love you hobby as much as the rest of us! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 4

I don't like giving a cake to someone that is more than 4 days old. That's just my feelings. So I'd bake on Wed for a Sat event. You can also bake earlier in the week or the weekend before and freeze then pull out Wed morning. Most icings can be made a week or more in advanced, and depending on what type it is stored on the kitchen cabinet or in the fridge.

SugrBritches38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugrBritches38 Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 4

Ahhh thank you fellow bakers! I def will keep this in mind and give it a try. I do love this hobby and i feel as though i am getting better through CC beings i am self taught! LOVE IT and find it rewarding to hear the compliments and see the excitment on kids faces when they get the final product!

Thank you all very very much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%