Kinda Bummed

Decorating By Lorabell Updated 27 May 2011 , 2:14am by Lorabell

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:30am
post #1 of 8

Hey everyone,

Well I am kinda heavy hearted about this. Over the course of probably the last 6 months, I really prayed for some cake business and now that I have it...I am totally overwhelmed. I work a 4 day work week, so I do the majority of my decorating on Fridays to deliver on Saturday and sometimes Sunday...but not as a rule. Anyway...all of my ME time is gone. I am trying to do 2-3 cakes a weekend and honestly, I'm starting to dread the ring of the telephone.

I also seem to get these call for very complex cakes....never having done them, I try and they turn out well, but it's not really what I want to do.

My refrigerator is now milk, eggs and condiments because I haven't had time to go to the store...

So here is my dilemma...is it wrong to limit myself to the number of cakes I want to do even if it's only 1 or 2? Is it wrong to just do the types of cake that I want to do?

Help!
Lori

7 replies
CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:39am
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorabell

So here is my dilemma...is it wrong to limit myself to the number of cakes I want to do even if it's only 1 or 2? Is it wrong to just do the types of cake that I want to do?

Help!
Lori

Why would that be wrong? It's your business and you can have it as big or as little as you want. If people call for an order, and you tell them your booked for that weekend, it will make you look like your super popular! Do what's right for you or you'll burn yourself out and quit.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:46am
post #3 of 8

I limit 1 Big cake or 2 medium cakes. I will a few cupcake orders in between... But I have a full time job besides my caking. So I have to limit to have any me time. Only once did I do 3 cakes in 1 weekend and I wanted to kill myself. The only reason I took the 3rd cake is because it was way to interesting to pass up

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:47am
post #4 of 8

I totally agree with CalhounsCakery. Of course, I'd love to be in your position - having to pick and choose - because I'm just starting out in business and don't have many customers so far. But if you want to keep loving what you're doing, you can't overextend yourself. Congratulations on your success!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:49am
post #5 of 8

are you charging enough? I always know when its time to raise prices if I'm getting resentful.
You do whatever you want, its your business, and that is the awesome thing about having your own business. And no one has to know that you only take 1 or 2, you just tell them you're booked.
Don't give yourself a guilt trip, and if you're not "needing" the business, take one weekend off every month or every two or three months. That way you have something to look forward to. This summer I had to do that, I blocked off an entire weekend for NO ORDERS. I already can't wait!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:49am
post #6 of 8

I can't imagine doing all that....I do NOT have an outside job (this is my part time job, other than my four kids) and I limit myself to 1-3 projects per weekend. For instance, this weekend I'm doing three....two are sculptured and one is a two tiered kids cake. Next weekend I only have one, because its a five tiered topsy turvy with a kitchen cake and a few cupcakes, plus a grad sheet cake and some cupcakes for my kids' school (I guess I didn't count that one, but that's a second cake!).

And that keeps me just FINE busy, I can't imagine doing more. I still need "me" time, and some time to be a mom at least a little bit!

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:51am
post #7 of 8

Lorabell - I could have written your post VERBATUM! I had to smile because that is exactly what I have experienced. I love making cakes, but work full time and my cakes seem to have become very popular! I have decided recently that I'm doing 1 cake a week on my days off - no more. I really hate to turn people down, and sometimes it's impossible, but I agree with CalhounsCakery - I decided if I didn't stop knocking myself out, it wouldn't be fun anymore and I'd be exhausted and burned out and just quit. I was also concerned about the quality of my cakes suffering and I'm just not going to chance that. Don't feel bad - take care of yourself so you can do what you love and do it well!

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:14am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone for your kind words and understanding. I think in my heart, I have already made this decision and breathing a little easier.

Be blessed,
Lori

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%