How Do I Start From Cake Sculpting/craving?

Decorating By fionlim0000 Updated 26 May 2011 , 7:37pm by carmijok

fionlim0000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fionlim0000 Posted 26 May 2011 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 4

I'm new in cake decorating for about a year. I'm interested in cake sculpting but dont't know where to start from and I can't find any courses in my area to learn from. Can anyone here share with me, are most cake sculpting self-learnt or taught? How do I start doing it? I'm so afraid I did a wrong cut and it will end up in my bin.... icon_eek.gif

3 replies
ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 26 May 2011 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 4

Start off with pound cake first of all! Its very sturdy and great to learn to carve from! I didn't take a single class for decorating, much less sculpting, so my best advice would be to just jump in and do it! Its much less scary once you start! Take off just a little at a time until you get the desired shape, you can take more off later, but you can't put it back on! What are you wanting to carve if you don't mind me asking!?!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 May 2011 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 4

Is there a certain shape you want to do? There are so many step by steps and how to's online now a days.

I have only used cake mixes or doctored cake mixes, have never frozen them before I get started, and I tend to like to bake cakes that start off in the general shape that I want.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 26 May 2011 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 4

Start looking on YouTube for video tutorials. Pick out a simple shape and practice. I have carved cakes, but not into a 'shape' per se..I've trimmed them to an inverted shape, but not a dog or something of that nature. I do know that if you cut off too much of something, you can just mix your trimmings with icing to make cake spackel and fill in what you've removed. I always use a frozen cake that has been filled. Colder cake is easier to shape I think.
But for now, just go do a Google search for 'how to sculpt cakes' and see all the tutorials that pop up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%