Best Cake Stacking Method For Safe Deliveries?

Decorating By My_Little_Cake_Shop Updated 26 May 2011 , 4:58pm by My_Little_Cake_Shop

My_Little_Cake_Shop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
My_Little_Cake_Shop Posted 24 May 2011 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 12

Hi, this is my first post! Yay!

I want to ask you about the best method for stacking cakes to make for safe deliveries. I own a small cake shop by the way. Where I live it's not acceptable for a cake decorator to assemble on site so the cakes are picked up or delivered assembled and ready! I need a system that will survive clumsy pickups and bumpy roads.

I heard about many systems some professional and expensive and others less expensive but not so trustworthy. I am worried about getting the safer expensive system just to have the bolts and washers "lost" at the wedding venue or thrown away with the leftovers. I will have to purchase these systems online so even with deposits it will take forever to replace!

Thanks!

11 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 May 2011 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Little_Cake_Shop

Where I live it's not acceptable for a cake decorator to assemble on site so the cakes are picked up or delivered assembled and ready!

Where do you live? That seems odd, I'm not sure why a venue would have a problem setting up before the event as long as you were out of there before the guests arrive.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 24 May 2011 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 12

well, most people will says SPS. Its a single pillar system and its disposable, which is nice. Its pretty reliable, but usually for 4" tall cakes.
I like a really tall cake, and I don't like using a hacksaw (I can be really clumsy!) Many, many people here have great success with it.

I use the Stress Free Cake Support system. It is somewhat pricey, and needs to be returned. But I LOVE it.

I also use my 2 CakeSafes. Because I live pretty far from most of my venues over bumpy country road, this has been a godsend. I can transport the cake as far as I need to and setup takes about 10 minutes. Again, they are expensive, but I deliver a lot of weddings, so they have saved me time and again.

Welcome to CC! You are going to love it here!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 May 2011 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 12

Yep, SPS. BakeryCrafts designed this system for customers to pick up their own tiered cakes from bakeries who don't deliver. There's even a box system if you want to buy that.

The legs come pre-cut in 4", 5", 7"and 9" lengths, so you can make taller tier cakes.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 25 May 2011 , 8:02am
post #5 of 12

I also use the Stress Free system but I will be trying SPS next weekend for the first time. If you charged a hefty deposit like 80.00 to 100.00 I'm sure they would return your stuff.

My_Little_Cake_Shop Posted 25 May 2011 , 11:06am
post #6 of 12

The venues don't prohibit cake designers from attending to their work before the guests arrive. It's just not something that is "done" in my society. I could do it if I really have to (and done it s a handful of times when the customer was someone I know).

I rent out cake and cupcake stands at this current time and although I do take a deposit some of them are never returned while others are returned with defects. I hang on to the deposits but still its a hassle going out and getting more.

I loved the Cake Stakers System so much as well as the SPS and SFS systems but I have to purchase all of them online. I don't mind as they will be a great investment for my shop but my fear is people not returning them as they were or loosing a leg or a screw. Ordering more online will be even more of a hassle!!

Has anyone tried the Cake Stakers System? It seems amazing but has so many nuts and bolts! I loved it as well for its topsy turvy and upside down/chandelier cake options. Still not sure what to decide on.

Are the SPS and SFS really worth it? I mean IF they are returned to me in one piece! haha

My_Little_Cake_Shop Posted 25 May 2011 , 11:10am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

well, most people will says SPS. Its a single pillar system and its disposable, which is nice. Its pretty reliable, but usually for 4" tall cakes.
I like a really tall cake, and I don't like using a hacksaw (I can be really clumsy!) Many, many people here have great success with it.

I use the Stress Free Cake Support system. It is somewhat pricey, and needs to be returned. But I LOVE it.

I also use my 2 CakeSafes. Because I live pretty far from most of my venues over bumpy country road, this has been a godsend. I can transport the cake as far as I need to and setup takes about 10 minutes. Again, they are expensive, but I deliver a lot of weddings, so they have saved me time and again.

Welcome to CC! You are going to love it here!

Do people really return the SFS system? What if you have two or more large cakes to make at the same time? Do you have two sets?

About the SPS, you have to purchase many sets because they are disposable right?

I usually use wooden dowels and I have only had one "accident" so far (which is one too many and is the reason I am looking for a better option)

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 25 May 2011 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Little_Cake_Shop

Do people really return the SFS system? What if you have two or more large cakes to make at the same time? Do you have two sets?

About the SPS, you have to purchase many sets because they are disposable right?

I usually use wooden dowels and I have only had one "accident" so far (which is one too many and is the reason I am looking for a better option)

First, Leahs, I had no idea they had gone to different lengths with SPS. Back in the day, it was just the notched pillars and you had to cut them to fit. Good to know they've improved.

Second, I've never lost a leg or a ring yet for SPS. Everyone I've done cakes for has returned them on time and in perfect condition. I have 3-4 of each size I need- the 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12. I don't go above a 12, since even a 16 can still sit on a 12 and be perfectly fine. I also have multiple sets of legs, 4.5 to fit each ring, and then sets of 4s and 7s.

Cake stackers to me looks seriously complicated. But I've not used it, so I'm not the one to ask. And I use SFS all the time to do topsy turvy.

As far as cost, if you're a shop, don't you have a decorating supplier? If you do, the reduced rate of SPS is dirt cheap. I use Cook's Specialty because they're in Chicago, but there are other companies out there. Look into Bakery Crafts itself, or find a company that carries it and caters to businesses only.

If you already have a hard time getting people to return your items, then you really should consider SPS, so you don't have to stress out every time you're expecting a return of supplies.

My_Little_Cake_Shop Posted 26 May 2011 , 8:59am
post #9 of 12

I am checking with my supplier right now. You're right it's just not worth it fretting over the tiny pieces.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:56am
post #10 of 12

I'm not a shop and I generate enough business to order SPS directly from BakeryCrafts. It's a one-use/disposable product which is only one of the many reasons I love it. Build the cost into the cake. Nothing to get back, which I love, customers, love, wedding planners love, and venues and caterers love. Plus it works. If you're ordering from BakeryCrafts anyway for shop supplies, it's a no-brainer.

PS there are no "rings" for SPS. That's SFS. Also an excellent system, but crazy expensive.

After I deliver a cake, frankly I want to be done with it. I don't want to go chasing after parts, (that I will likely have to have to the next cake) I don't want to be constantly ordering replacements and I don't want to keep up with piddly parts inventories.

Kristie925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristie925 Posted 26 May 2011 , 12:37pm
post #11 of 12

I use Cake Stackers. I just charge a deposit and I've always gotten all the parts back. It does look complicated, but the first time you take it out of the box and do a trial stack just using card boards, you'll see how simple it really is! My 6 year old daughter put it together by herself after she watched me do it once! I've never felt so confident with a stacked cake! I delivered my sister's 3 tiered wedding cake, an hour away, in my van with my 3 kids and it arrived in perfect condition! And, their system makes it impossible to stack cakes off center! I just do a few cakes a month, but it was so worth the money! I'm going to buy the square one this summer for my cousin's wedding!

My_Little_Cake_Shop Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:58pm
post #12 of 12

I love the fact that SPS is disposable and i dont have to run after customers for returns. But that also means I have to keep myself stocked!
Cake stackers looks and sounds amazing but seriously I don't wana run around collecting pieces!
I do make an average of 5 cakes a week as it is now. I think it's time to invest!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%