Health Department???

Business By BellaB Updated 24 May 2011 , 5:08pm by LindaF144a

BellaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaB Posted 23 May 2011 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Guys,

My head is going to explode here. I've been sent around in circles from every state agency i'm supposed to call and getting ever more confusing answers and additional paperwork...I dont know if i'm not explaining myself to them correctly or what, but I really need some help from those of you who are legal in NY. I've spoken to my town and city and have what I need from them. But the health department is really confusing me.

Here's the deal, for my own reasons I decided that instead of having my own kitchen inspected I would find myself an already certified kitchen. I found one pretty quickly thankfully but now i'm trying to understand what it is I need to operate like this. At this point I want to sell my cupcakes at fairs, festivals, green markets, etc. So the health department sent me a ton of papers that i'm supposed to fill out about a "Temporary Food Service Establishment" Looking through the paperwork, I can't actually answer any of these questions because they don't appear to apply to my situation!

Has anyone from NY ever run into this or know if this is even at all necessary? I'm not in NYC, i'm upstate NY.

Thank you all!

6 replies
lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 23 May 2011 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 7

I hear you on the health department red tape icon_mad.gif I'm not in NY, but i have found that i am best not licensed as a caterer or a restaurant, but as a Limited Food Manufacturer. Maybe check into the NY rules and see if something like that applies?

good luck

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 May 2011 , 5:36am
post #3 of 7

Not in your state, but I found it very helpful to get the applications from the HD and Dept of Ag. Read and study them along with the web sites of the coordinating codes. If my state has this, all others should. Study them until you know the answers. Then verify the answers with the HD. My states were very helpful, but getting the whole picture from all perspectives really does help with the confusion.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 24 May 2011 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaB

Hi Guys,

My head is going to explode here. I've been sent around in circles from every state agency i'm supposed to call and getting ever more confusing answers and additional paperwork...I dont know if i'm not explaining myself to them correctly or what, but I really need some help from those of you who are legal in NY. I've spoken to my town and city and have what I need from them. But the health department is really confusing me.

Here's the deal, for my own reasons I decided that instead of having my own kitchen inspected I would find myself an already certified kitchen. I found one pretty quickly thankfully but now i'm trying to understand what it is I need to operate like this. At this point I want to sell my cupcakes at fairs, festivals, green markets, etc. So the health department sent me a ton of papers that i'm supposed to fill out about a "Temporary Food Service Establishment" Looking through the paperwork, I can't actually answer any of these questions because they don't appear to apply to my situation!

Has anyone from NY ever run into this or know if this is even at all necessary? I'm not in NYC, i'm upstate NY.

Thank you all!

Which county, that makes a big difference. Depending on which county you are in, you want to talk to the department of Agriculture.

Brevity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brevity Posted 24 May 2011 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 7

As a more creative minded person, business forms usually get my eyes and disposition instantly crossed - but I will tell you, when I was getting my shop up, I discovered blatant honesty is key with these offices. Tell them just that, "here's what I want to do, I want to do it correctly, tell me what goes here, here, and here" ....etc. It's their job to help you understand.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 May 2011 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 7

agree with brevity. They will be more than happy to help you fill them out. It actually makes their job easier when it's done right the first time, so they have even more of a vested interest in giving you a hand with them.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 24 May 2011 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 7

I live in NY.

In this case, she has gotten the wrong forms. I can't help her further though until I find out which county she lives in. It is a different process for almost all of them. But for what she stated, it is the department of Agriculture she wants.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%