Advice For Recipe Alterations - Lemon Cake

Baking By bonniebakes Updated 22 May 2011 , 7:33pm by wiggler

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 3

I'd like to make a lemon pound cake or lemon layer cake (from scratch), but so far all of the recipes I've tried aren't "lemony" enough for my family.

I'd like to add more lemon juice and zest to the recipe to bump up the lemon flavor, but I'm not sure what else I need to alter if I add the additional acid from the lemon juice so that the cake isn't too dry.

I would prefer *not* to use a simple syrup on the layers to add flavor or moisture...

Can any of you baking scientists out there help me?

thanks in advance!!

~Bonnie

2 replies
Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 3

Well since you want a sctrach recipe...I cant help you with that. I do use a doctored cake mix from this site "amazing lemon cake from a mix" by cakepro. Trust me...its delicious and moist. I always add the princess bouquet flavoring to my lemon cake in addition to lemon flavoring from Lorann flavorings. Could you add more zest, juice and try adding the princess flavoring? The recipe i use also asks for lemon pudiing...but I dont know if you could do the same in a sctrach recipe.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 22 May 2011 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 3

Hi Bonnie

I sent you a pm with my favourite lemon cake recipe. Have a look you migh like it . Good luck

Niamh

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%