5.20.11 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 22 May 2011 , 3:21am by JackieDryden

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 21 May 2011 , 5:20am
post #31 of 43

Oooh Monster High! I would love to see a picture of it! My daughter is crazy for Monster High!

I am very delayed in doing everything! I have a Wilton Demo at work tomorrow and I barely have anything done. Oy!Gonna be a late, late, late one!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 May 2011 , 5:49am
post #32 of 43

It looks like a late night for several people. My cake has a fairly big problem and I have two ideas to fix it. I'm 95% sure the one way will work, but it means practically redoing the whole tier. The other way may or may not work. This is my third late night in a row and I'm getting too tired to think, methinks.

The tier is 4 layers high, with a board in the middle and bubble tea straws for support, to refresh everyone's memory of my ongoing cake saga.

When I put the top two layers on, there was a big gap. I called for He Who Job It Is To Level Cakes And Cut Straws. He said, "I thought there would be a gap." Gee, thanks, mister. (BTW I gave him the leveling job so he hopefully he would, at some point, see exactly why I need an Agbay. The straw job came along when he criticized and made fun of me cutting them, but I digress.) He thought it would be fine so I piped icing in the gap and crumbcoated. That's where my problems began.

Now it appears that the icing does not like the gap and one spot in particular keeps splitting like it's pulling downwards. Now that Mr. Smartypants is asleep, I could take it all apart once more, scrape the whole tier, and level and straw it again. The other idea is to scrape the middle where the gap is, make fondant ropes, and place those in the gap.

Suggestions?

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 21 May 2011 , 5:55am
post #33 of 43

I hate to say it, but I would disassemble it and shorten the straws so that you don't have a gap. If the gap is big enough that the icing keeps cracking out, it might be a weak spot that allows that top cake to move/slide in transport.

sowwy icon_sad.gif

Kristy

cheatize Posted 21 May 2011 , 6:13am
post #34 of 43

True, very true. This is the part of learning the craft that stinks. icon_sad.gif
Thanks for the advice!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 May 2011 , 7:21am
post #35 of 43

I'm rocking out a sheet cake.

#too tired

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 May 2011 , 8:10am
post #36 of 43

Cleaning!!

cheatize Posted 22 May 2011 , 1:41am
post #37 of 43

I took mine apart one last time, redid the frosting, and then went to bed hoping for the best. It worked! Woo hoo! Thank you, thank you, thank you for the advice! It's great to have people to help when you're not sure or are just too tired to think.

My kitchen, dining room, and cake room are all cleaned, the cake was a hit, and I managed a two hour nap. I feel hopeful again. LOL

Hope everyone's deliveries went well today!

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 22 May 2011 , 2:27am
post #38 of 43

Had 3 cakes and a bunch of cupcakes due this weekend. Nothing too difficult because we have our house up for sale and have an open house tomorrow!!

It's not the cakes that are difficult to do, but all the cleaning afterwards! Even more this weekend since the whole family is scrubbing the house top to bottom.

Gross, but we found buttercream on the ceiling of the kitchen! Who would think to look up when cleaning after making icing?!

10xHigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
10xHigh Posted 22 May 2011 , 2:54am
post #39 of 43

Resting after finishing up three dozen graduation cupcakes and a Cat in the Hat baby shower cake....If interested both are on my profile.

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 22 May 2011 , 3:13am
post #40 of 43

No cakes to do this weekend...I've been doing yard work in the 95 degree heat, so it was a welcome relief not to have to heat up the oven! I have three big cakes to do for next week and my son is graduating Saturday, so I am going to start baking and freezing tomorrow just to be ahead of the game. It will be my first time freezing, so I am a little anxious. Lots of great tips on here...that helps a bunch!

Y'all have a great night! Happy baking!

Ummeiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ummeiko Posted 22 May 2011 , 3:18am
post #41 of 43

I'm enjoying the weekend off.

Well, at least from hobby caking. The number of sheet cakes on order (plus a couple of 2-tier grad cakes) at Wal-mart this weekend is daunting. Next weekend won't be any better, but that should be the two worst graduation weekends.

So in the meantime I'm pondering ideas for my mom's birthday on June 13th. And in the long run, designing a super awesome (I hope) Super Mario cake for later this year for my twin cousins, one of whom is coming off of a feeding tube and on to solid food this summer! (That's the hope anyway. The cake is part of her reward for being able to eat on her own.)

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 22 May 2011 , 3:21am
post #42 of 43

Ummeiko that is so sweet of you! I hope everything goes well for your cousin! icon_smile.gif

JackieDryden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackieDryden Posted 22 May 2011 , 3:21am
post #43 of 43

This week I had a last minute graduation cap cake to do. The gals normal cake lady was in the hospital, so she told me what that lady was going to do, and I said yea, I can do it. So this week, boring, and the next two weeks, I hope I can keep my eyes open and my thoughts from jumping off the deep end. I can't say no to people! I do cakes as a hobby, I don't really get paid for my time, usually "barter" for payment, or just covers cost. I work 8-6 every day but one, and that day I get off at noon. Next week: a flirty 30 suprise b-day cake with a "do whatever, I trust ya", 2-1/4 sheet cakes for twins-one wants Ariel and the other Belle, a 2tier stacked baby shower cake, and a 3 tier(very intense design I haven't done yet) damask pattern in B&W on bottom and top tier, lime green in the middle with a black wrap and initial-all this while I work and now have to move my son home from college (taking that day off) and he is 4 hours away-one way! Following week, doing my friends wedding cake (3 tiers) and catering their food for their dinner, also a lady bug cake, and my step mom's surprise 50th cake (and I don't even get to go to the party because of the wedding. So far the week after that, only 1 cake-a wedding cake! Sleep will not be in my vocabulary!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%