Cake Stacking.. Watched All The Vids.. Just One Wuestion :)

Decorating By hfredericks Updated 21 May 2011 , 1:48am by Swede-cakes

hfredericks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hfredericks Posted 20 May 2011 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 8

so I get that you leave a board under each tier.. I understand about the dowel rods..

my question is.. when the top layer is lifted off, cut, eaten.. whatever.. does the buttercream come off with the board when you remove it to get to the second tier?

7 replies
hfredericks Posted 20 May 2011 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 8

and thank you in advance icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 May 2011 , 12:01am
post #3 of 8

It might. Really, not important. If you're using a crusting bc, then wait for it to crust well before stacking and you'll be fine. If you use a non crusting bc, then put a round of parchment, or I use sugar crystals under the plate area.

hfredericks Posted 21 May 2011 , 12:10am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

It might. Really, not important. If you're using a crusting bc, then wait for it to crust well before stacking and you'll be fine. If you use a non crusting bc, then put a round of parchment, or I use sugar crystals under the plate area.

thank you!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 21 May 2011 , 12:31am
post #5 of 8

Covering the cakeboard both sides with wax paper is a good idea too
Edna icon_smile.gif

sparkle25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkle25 Posted 21 May 2011 , 12:41am
post #6 of 8

I've heard of people putting shredded coconut underneath the cake boards to avoid the icing coming off, but I've never tried it and I don't really think it matters. If you buttercream is crusted enough you shouldn't have a problem.

MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 21 May 2011 , 1:30am
post #7 of 8

I've seen people say they put a little cornstartch or powdered sugar. I don't use anything. Sometimes a very little bit pulls off. I just scrape it off the board and put it back on. Once the cutting begins nobody will even notice.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 21 May 2011 , 1:48am
post #8 of 8

I suppose you could always use the waxed boards, and use the white wax side down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%