Curious About Fondant And Gumpaste

Decorating By debbiek37 Updated 18 May 2011 , 8:21pm by Karen421

debbiek37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbiek37 Posted 18 May 2011 , 10:06am
post #1 of 6

I just have a question and I hope someone answers, please. I see on a lot of pictures on cc that they use a mixture of fondant and gumpaste for figures and other decorations. Why? and What is the ratio of gumpaste to fondant? Thanks!!

5 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 18 May 2011 , 10:30am
post #2 of 6

It's not an exact science. If you're making something that needs to be strong (eg something very complex, thin, structural, or has to support itself upright etc) then you would mix more gumpaste with your fondant. You can use just straight fondant if it's something fairly simple that will be flat/low to the cake. Fondant will take longer to dry, so if you want something to dry faster you could use gumpaste.

Personally I don't use gumpaste as such. I get gum tragacanth powder and mix about 1tsp of that into about 500g fondant for modelling things like flowers, animals, people. If I want to make something more structured that needs to be very strong, such as a chair, building, or tree, then I make mexican paste and mix that at about 3 or 4 parts mexican paste to 1 part fondant. (Mexican paste dries very hard, but brittle - the addition of a little fondant makes it much less brittle, meaning it can generally take a knock without breaking.)

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 May 2011 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 6

What a great idea! I never thought of mixing Mexican paste with fondant, I am going to try that today! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks thumbs_up.gif

lsz1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsz1978 Posted 18 May 2011 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 6

what is mexican paste and how do you make iticon_smile.gif?

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 18 May 2011 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 6

recipe for mexican paste here: http://www.patchworkcutters.co.uk/POM/pom_mexican1.asp

If I need a dark colour, I usually add a teaspoon or two of gel colouring in place of some of the water. That way you're not making it too soft by adding lots of colour after it's made.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 May 2011 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%