Please Help With This Cake Bride Requested (Pic Included)!!!

Decorating By tabco Updated 18 May 2011 , 8:58am by sweettreat101

tabco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabco Posted 17 May 2011 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 14

Do you think these black shapes are free handed or cut using special cutters? If they are special cutters where can I find them? And what about the bling broach....what is that made out of? Any help anyone could give me would be great!

13 replies
tabco Posted 17 May 2011 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 14

Ok Attachment didn't work...here goes another try....

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 17 May 2011 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 14

http://imageshack.us/ Upload photo. Copy link. Paste link here.

tabco Posted 17 May 2011 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 14
AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 17 May 2011 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 14

Hand cut. If not that, perhaps done on a cricut or with actual metal cutters.

tabco Posted 17 May 2011 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 14

Yeah I don't want to by a cricut...so if anyone knows where to get metal cutters like that I would love to know where! Thanks....

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 17 May 2011 , 11:39pm
post #7 of 14

These are Lindy Smith cutters - Stylised Flower Cutters

http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/OnlineShop-LindysCutters.htm

tabco Posted 18 May 2011 , 12:47am
post #8 of 14

WOW...they sure are!! Thank you sooooo much ApplegumPam!!!

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 18 May 2011 , 1:18am
post #9 of 14

You can get those Lindy Smith cutters at Global Sugar art too.

tabco Posted 18 May 2011 , 1:40am
post #10 of 14

Holy Moly those things are expensive! Yikes! I may just cut them free hand?

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 18 May 2011 , 1:42am
post #11 of 14

the actual picture of the brooch is not real clear to me, but it looks like nothing more than an oblong shape of fondant with silver dragees on it. I may be way off, but that is what I see. it looks as if it is cut out in the center. I know that there are some edible rhinestone type things available, but I do not know who to buy them from. In the KC metro area there is a company that sells something like that and so I know it is available, but I would suggest asking around and finding out who in your area might sell something like that if you know that what I thought I saw is not what I suggested it was. Good luck. To me the cut out shapes definitely looked like a cricut, but you have already figured out that problem.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 18 May 2011 , 5:29am
post #12 of 14

These are the instances where it IS smarter to shop online internationally

14pounds at todays currency exchange is about US$22 - no way would shipping be another $27US

You have to remember that there is ALSO 20%VAT included in that price that is supposed to be deducted from countries outside of the EU - most online UK stores automatically adjust the prices when you put in your shipping address - Lindy's site does not icon_sad.gif

I think $20 for unusual cutters is pretty reasonable thumbs_up.gif

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 18 May 2011 , 7:16am
post #13 of 14

Have you seen Wiltons new line called Punch Cut Decorate? They are a bunch of giant paper punches and sugar sheets. The sugar sheets can be cut with the punch or cut by hand and they have black sheets available. I bought a bunch of punchers and sugar sheets at Michaels. They may work for this cake. If you go to my pictures, look at the Mickey Mouse cake. The black Mickey silhouettes were hand cut from a black sugar sheet, as were the circles from other color sheets. Once on the cake, they meld into the frosting and have almost no taste. The sheets are 3.99 each. For this cake you would probably need no more that 3 sheets. Go on the Wilton website or youtube and search for punch cut decorate. Hope that helps!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 18 May 2011 , 8:58am
post #14 of 14

When someone requests a special design and I don't have the items needed I add it to the price of the cake. Otherwise you can tell them that you can try to make them free hand but they won't be exactly the same as in the picture. This way they don't complain when they pick up the cake if it doesn't perfectly match.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%